Intensity and power question (weird)

In summary: Treat the distance as the radius of a large sphere, whose total area is ##4\pi D^2##. (Where D is the distance from the source to the earth.)
bonbon22

https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.co...e 2016 MS - Unit 5-2A AQA Physics A-level.pdf

One question on this the mark scheme seems to skip this step as the intensity is Power per unit area ,
when you make I sun = I quaser * 4*10^17 and you plug in the values for power per unit area would the 4 pies cancel each other out
so P/4pieD^2 = ( P*4*10^11/4pieD^2 ) * 4* 10^12 ?
one final question on this when using the intensity equation should i assume the distance from a point to the emitting source of radiation affected by the inverse square law is a giant circle essentially ? As they want the distance from Earth to the quaser would that mean that the P/ 4pie D^2 value the D value is the distance of the two objects not the surface area of the star or object ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Treat the sun and quasar as point sources. Then realize that the intensity follows the inverse square law, so ##I \propto \frac{P}{r^2}##.

Likes bonbon22
Doc Al said:
Treat the sun and quasar as point sources. Then realize that the intensity follows the inverse square law, so ##I \propto \frac{P}{r^2}##.
I seee that's interesting Doc, in most astronomical distances should i always treat the suns and quasers as point sources unless the question states otherwise?
and also Is P/r^2 not equal to the intensity if that's the case and the 4 pie no longer applies so it would be = to and not proportional to intensity ?

bonbon22 said:
in most astronomical distances should i always treat the suns and quasers as point sources unless the question states otherwise?
I would.
bonbon22 said:
and also Is P/r^2 not equal to the intensity if that's the case and the 4 pie no longer applies so it would be = to and not proportional to intensity ?
Since all you care about are ratios, the 4π drops out. But you're correct: ##I = \frac{P}{4\pi r^2}##.

Likes bonbon22
Doc Al said:
I would.

Since all you care about are ratios, the 4π drops out. But you're correct: ##I = \frac{P}{4\pi r^2}##.
one final question Doc if a question was not based on " ratios" does the 4 pie drop out as it is a point source?

bonbon22 said:
one final question Doc if a question was not based on " ratios" does the 4 pie drop out as it is a point source?
Not quite sure what you mean. If you are given the power and asked to find the intensity at some distance from the point source, then you'd need the full equation with the 4π included.

Likes bonbon22
Doc Al said:
Not quite sure what you mean. If you are given the power and asked to find the intensity at some distance from the point source, then you'd need the full equation with the 4π included.
okay got you, one very final question to clear my mind , should i assume that the D value is the diameter of a very large circle which essentially touches the earth. as intensity is power / surface area <----- and this surface area is just a really big circle.

bonbon22 said:
okay got you, one very final question to clear my mind , should i assume that the D value is the diameter of a very large circle which essentially touches the earth. as intensity is power / surface area <----- and this surface area is just a really big circle.
Treat the distance as the radius of a large sphere, whose total area is ##4\pi D^2##. (Where D is the distance from the source to the earth.)

Likes bonbon22

1. What is the difference between intensity and power?

Intensity refers to the amount of energy per unit area, while power is the rate at which energy is transferred. In other words, intensity is a measure of the concentration of energy, while power is a measure of how quickly that energy is being used or transferred.

2. How are intensity and power related?

Intensity and power are directly proportional to each other. This means that as intensity increases, so does power, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: power = intensity x area.

3. How can intensity and power be measured?

Intensity is typically measured in watts per square meter (W/m²), while power is measured in watts (W). These measurements can be obtained using specialized instruments such as photometers or power meters.

4. What are some real-life examples of intensity and power?

Intensity can be seen in natural phenomena such as the sun's rays, which have a high intensity due to the amount of energy being concentrated in a small area. Power can be observed in everyday objects, such as a light bulb or a car engine, which use energy at a certain rate to perform a task.

5. How does the intensity and power of a light source affect its brightness?

The higher the intensity and power of a light source, the brighter it will appear. This is because more energy is being emitted, resulting in a higher concentration of light. However, other factors such as distance from the light source and the reflectivity of surfaces can also affect brightness.