Intensity of Light Through Pentaprism Including Reflections

In summary: I think I was using the wrongtan^2 function.In summary, a pentaprism is a five-sided reflecting prism used to deviate a beam of light by 90◦ without inverting an image. Pentaprisms are used in the viewfinders of SLR cameras.The pentaprism angle β is required for a normal-incidence beam from the left to exit the bottom surface at normal incidence. If all interfaces of the pentaprism are uncoated glass with index n = 1.5, what fraction of the intensity would get through this system for a normal incidence beam? Compute for p-polarized light, and include transmission through the first and final surfaces as well as
Ichigo449

Homework Statement

A pentaprism is a five-sided reflecting prism used to deviate a beam of light by 90◦ without inverting an image. Pentaprisms are used in the viewfinders of SLR cameras.
(a) What prism angle β is required for a normal-incidence beam from the left to exit the bottom surface at normal incidence?
(b) If all interfaces of the pentaprism are uncoated glass with index n = 1.5, what fraction of the intensity would get through this system for a normal incidence beam? Compute for p-polarized light, and include transmission through the first and final surfaces as well as reflection at the two interior surfaces.

Homework Equations

Fresnel Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I really am lost at how to find the prism angle. I know it should come from an angle of deviation calculation but cannot set one up.
b) The overall transmission through the device is the repeated application of the Fresnel equations at each point mentioned: the transmittance from air to glass at normal incidence: 96 % I_o. Then the reflectance at the angle required for total internal reflection twice (this is 41 degrees), and finally transmittance from glass to air again.
Is solution process correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any related picture about the prism. I find it difficult to find a reference about which corner is referred to by "prism angle" in a pentaprism?

The question is from http://optics.byu.edu/BYUOpticsBook_2015.pdf Problem 3.5

Based on that picture, what is ##2\theta_i## equal to?

Since the light rays form a right triangle and the Law of Reflection holds [itex]2\theta_i =\pi/4[/itex].

Ichigo449 said:
Since the light rays form a right triangle and the Law of Reflection holds [itex]2\theta_i =\pi/4[/itex].
Yes, that's right. With this knowledge alone and some creativity in trigonometry, you can determine ##\beta##.

Could you give me a hint for what triangles to consider?

Consider one of the reflection points inside the prism. What is the angle subtended by the incoming (or reflected) ray with the prism's side?

I can't see a subtended angle for one reflection point, but ##\beta## is the subtended angle from both reflection points.

By "reflection point", I mean the spot where the ray hits the inner side of the prism at an angle ##\theta_i## and reflects off also at the same angle. What I suggested is that you calculate the angle subtended by the ray hitting this reflection point and the prism's side, i.e. the complementary angle of ##\theta_i##.

Thank you. I think I understand the process now. The Law of Reflection forces the complementary angles at both points to be equal, and these two angles are included in the triangle I mentioned so ##\beta = \pi/4## because each complementary angle is ##3\pi/8##.

Ichigo449 said:
so ##\beta = \pi/4##
Yes that's right.

So for part b) am I applying the Fresnel equations correctly?

Yes.

So I went through the calculations and 4% is lost on first transmission, 0.0199 on each reflection and 4% is again lost on exiting. This is only a net loss in intensity of 8.0398%. So I made a mistake somewhere. For the reflections at oblique incidence I used that ##R = r_s^2 = tan^2 (\theta_t -\theta_i) /tan^2 (\theta_t +\theta_i)##

1. What is a pentaprism?

A pentaprism is a five-sided glass prism used in optical instruments, such as cameras and binoculars, to reflect and redirect light beams.

2. How does a pentaprism affect the intensity of light?

A pentaprism does not directly affect the intensity of light. However, it can affect the brightness and contrast of an image by redirecting and refracting the light beams.

3. What is the purpose of using a pentaprism in optics?

The main purpose of using a pentaprism in optics is to correct the inverted image produced by a traditional lens. The pentaprism reflects the light rays so that the image appears upright and the correct way round.

4. Does the quality of the pentaprism affect the intensity of light?

The quality of the pentaprism can affect the intensity of light indirectly. If the pentaprism is made of low-quality materials or has imperfections, it can cause light to scatter or be absorbed, resulting in a decrease in brightness and contrast.

5. How can one optimize the intensity of light through a pentaprism?

To optimize the intensity of light through a pentaprism, it is important to use high-quality materials and ensure the prism is properly aligned and free from any defects. Using anti-reflective coatings on the prism can also help reduce light loss and improve overall image quality.