Intensive vs Extensive Expressions

• A
  • Thread starter saybrook1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expressions
In summary: I'm not sure if this is the case for all expressions or if this is just an extra layer of specificity that is needed for certain equations.
saybrook1
Hello guys, I'm struggling to understand why some expressions are deemed to be extensive(or particularly extensive for that matter) and others are not. As far as I understand, extensive properties are physical quantities whose magnitude is additive for subsystems and this magnitude is proportional to the V or N of the system it describes. Intensive properties are physical quantities whose value does not depend on the amount of substance for which it is measured(not proportional to V or N I assume).

This would lead me to believe that expressions containing extensive properties would be extensive expressions. Or is this more of a matter of saying "well, in this situation this formula will be more extensive because the combined magnitudes of the extensive properties contained within are greater than the magnitudes of the intensive properties."? I have an example below where the author(Pathria) claims that one expression for S is not extensive(intensive?) while the other expression for S is "truly extensive!". There are many more examples of this within stat mech books and so if anyone is able to help me figure out how to discern between extensive and non-extensive or intensive expressions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you as always.

Extensive vs Intensive.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
A quantity is either extensive or intensive. There's no in-between. Entropy is extensive. I have no idea what the author is saying there since the text is cut off.

Khashishi said:
A quantity is either extensive or intensive. There's no in-between. Entropy is extensive. I have no idea what the author is saying there since the text is cut off.

The author is just saying that the first expression (Sackur-Tetrode eqn) is Extensive vs the second equation that he references which is "not extensive." He calls many equations extensive/intensive and I don't know how to distinguish between the two in terms of entire formulas being one or the other.

A classmate just informed me that an extensive expression must contain a $$\frac{V}{N}$$ term.

1. What is the difference between intensive and extensive expressions?

Intensive and extensive expressions are two types of properties used to describe physical systems. Intensive properties are independent of the size or amount of the system, while extensive properties depend on the size or amount of the system.

2. Can you give an example of an intensive expression?

Temperature is an example of an intensive expression. It does not change regardless of the amount of substance or the size of the system.

3. What are some examples of extensive expressions?

Some examples of extensive expressions include mass, volume, and energy. These properties vary with the size or amount of the system.

4. How are intensive and extensive expressions related?

Intensive and extensive expressions are related in that they both describe the physical properties of a system. They are complementary and together provide a complete description of a system.

5. Why is it important to distinguish between intensive and extensive expressions?

It is important to distinguish between intensive and extensive expressions because they have different physical meanings and behaviors. This distinction is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems.