Work Check: Neutron Scattering

In summary, the conversation discusses a request for assistance in checking through work related to the far field approximation and probability current density of a scattered wavefunction. The equations for these concepts are provided, and the forum user attempts to write one equation in terms of another and calculate the scattered neutron flux density. However, the solution is not entirely correct as it does not consider the dimensions and definitions of the quantities involved and may have incorrect assumptions about the total scattering cross section. Additional clarification and review are recommended.
WWCY

Homework Statement

Hi all, could someone assist me in checking through my work? Many thanks in advance!

An image of the problem is attached below (problem 1b)

Homework Equations

Far field approximation of a scattered wavefunction:
$$\psi_s (\vec{r}) \approx \Psi_i \ r^{\frac{1-d}{2} } \ e^{ikr} \ f(\Omega)$$
where ##\Psi_i## is the amplitude of the incident wavefunction, ##d## is the dimensionality of the problem and ##f## is the scattering amplitude.

Probability current density of the scattered wave
$$J_s = \frac{\hbar}{m} \Im \Big( \psi ^*_s \nabla \psi _s \Big)$$

The ##r## component:

$$J_{s,r} = \frac{\hbar k}{m} |\Psi _i|^2 |f(\Omega)|^2 r^{1-d}$$
$$J_i = \frac{\hbar k}{m} |\Psi _i|^2$$
where ##J_i## is the incident current

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I wanted to write ##J_{s,r}## in terms of ##J_{i}## since (I think) the number of particles scattered is proportional to the probability "scattered".

Total scattering cross section is ##\sigma _t = 10^{23} \sigma _{nuclei} = 10##. Since the scattering is isotropic and ##d\sigma _t / d\Omega = |f|^2##,
$$|f|^2 = \sigma _t / 4 \pi$$

Thus
$$J_{s,r} = \frac{J_i \sigma _t}{4\pi r^2}$$
for ##d = 3##. And if i denote neutron flux density as ##n_s## and ##n_i## for scattered and incident flux,
$$n_{s} = \frac{n_i \sigma _t}{4\pi r^2}$$

is this right?

Q1.png

Attachments

• Q1.png
    Q1.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 329
Physics news on Phys.org

I am happy to assist you in checking your work. Your equations for the far field approximation of a scattered wavefunction and the probability current density of the scattered wave seem correct. However, I am not sure about your attempt to write ##J_{s,r}## in terms of ##J_i## and your calculation for the scattered neutron flux density.

Firstly, the incident current density, ##J_i##, is not equal to the incident flux, ##n_i##. The incident current density is a vector quantity that represents the flow of particles per unit area per unit time, while the incident flux is a scalar quantity that represents the number of particles per unit area per unit time. Therefore, the two quantities cannot be equated.

Additionally, your equation for ##J_{s,r}## only holds for the case of isotropic scattering in three dimensions. If the scattering is anisotropic or occurs in a different number of dimensions, the equation will be different. Furthermore, your use of the total scattering cross section, ##\sigma_t##, is not entirely correct. The total scattering cross section is the sum of all possible scattering cross sections, which may include contributions from different types of scattering (e.g. elastic, inelastic, etc.). It is not necessarily equal to 10 times the scattering cross section of a single nucleus.

In conclusion, your attempt at a solution is not entirely correct. I suggest reviewing your equations and considering the dimensions and definitions of the quantities involved. It may also be helpful to provide more context or information about the problem, as well as any given values or assumptions. I hope this helps. Best of luck with your work!

1. What is neutron scattering?

Neutron scattering is a scientific technique used to study the structure and dynamics of materials at the atomic and molecular level. It involves directing a beam of neutrons at a sample and analyzing the scattered neutrons to gather information about the sample's composition, structure, and behavior.

2. How does neutron scattering work?

Neutron scattering works by sending a beam of neutrons at a sample and measuring the angle and energy of the scattered neutrons. The scattered neutrons carry information about the atomic and molecular structure of the sample, which can be analyzed to determine properties such as size, shape, and motion.

3. What are the applications of neutron scattering?

Neutron scattering is used in a wide range of scientific fields, including materials science, physics, chemistry, and biology. It can be used to study the structure and properties of materials such as metals, polymers, and biological molecules. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as advanced batteries and pharmaceuticals.

4. What are the advantages of using neutron scattering?

Neutron scattering has several advantages over other techniques for studying materials. It is non-destructive, meaning the sample is not damaged during the experiment. It is also highly sensitive to light elements, such as hydrogen, which are difficult to detect with other methods. Additionally, neutron scattering can provide information about the dynamics of materials, such as how atoms and molecules move and interact.

5. What are the limitations of neutron scattering?

One limitation of neutron scattering is that it requires specialized facilities, such as a nuclear reactor or particle accelerator, which can be expensive to operate. The technique also requires a high level of expertise to design and conduct experiments and analyze the data. Additionally, neutron scattering is not suitable for all types of materials, as some may be damaged by the intense neutron beam.