Interest of IQ (QAM) processing at receiver level

In summary, IQ demodulation is used for capturing both the amplitude and phase of a signal, allowing for image rejection and wider bandwidth conversion. This is useful in various engineering applications, not just for QAM and other modulation schemes.
Ravaner
Hello.

My question is about a specific case. Assume emitted signal ihas not been created using IQ modulation, what is the interest to rebuild an IQ signal in receiver before port-processing ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ravaner said:
has not been created using IQ modulation
How do you generate a QAM signal without using modulated I and Q generation stages?

Ravaner said:
Hello.

My question is about a specific case. Assume emitted signal ihas not been created using IQ modulation, what is the interest to rebuild an IQ signal in receiver before port-processing ?

Well, the obvious reason would be that you are interested in both the amplitude AND phase of the signal.
IQ demodulation is used for all sorts of things in MW engineering; not just for QAM and other modulation schemes.

Thanks for your replies

Likes berkeman
Ravaner said:
Thanks for your replies
If we demodulate the signal using a local carrier, IQ demodulation enables frequencies one side of the local carrier to be rejected, providing image rejection or single sideband reception.

Likes berkeman
By employing an I/Q local oscillator, with two mixers, you can perform image rejection and convert one RF signal into two IF signals, Iif and Qif. Those two IFs can be synchronously digitised to generate data pairs that are phasors with two A-D converters, at half the rate needed for a single RF channel. In effect it doubles the BW of the best AtoD converters available.

So I think the answer to your question is that it enables image rejection and permits a wider bandwidth conversion.

See; RF Down Converting to I/Q Data. http://whiteboard.ping.se/SDR/IQ

Likes dlgoff

1. What is IQ (QAM) processing at receiver level?

IQ (In-phase and Quadrature) processing at receiver level is a method used in digital signal processing to demodulate and decode quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM) signals. It involves separating the in-phase and quadrature components of the received signal and using mathematical algorithms to demodulate and decode the signal into its original data form.

2. Why is IQ (QAM) processing important in receivers?

IQ processing is important in receivers because it allows for the reception and decoding of QAM signals, which are widely used in telecommunications and digital communication systems. Without IQ processing, it would be difficult or impossible to accurately demodulate and decode these types of signals, resulting in poor reception and communication quality.

3. What are some applications of IQ (QAM) processing?

IQ processing has a wide range of applications in various fields, including wireless communication systems such as Wi-Fi, cellular networks, satellite communication, and digital broadcasting. It is also used in radar systems, medical imaging, and software-defined radio.

4. How does IQ (QAM) processing improve signal quality?

The use of IQ processing at receiver level improves signal quality by reducing noise and interference, compensating for signal distortions, and increasing the signal-to-noise ratio. This results in a more accurate and reliable demodulation and decoding of the signal, leading to improved overall signal quality.

5. Can IQ (QAM) processing be used in all types of receivers?

IQ processing can be used in most types of receivers, as long as they are designed to work with QAM signals. However, the complexity and cost of implementing IQ processing may vary depending on the specific receiver and its intended application.