Interesting and annoying power problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the total work done by a force acting on a particle with mass 30Kg, where the force is given by F=6+4x-3(x^2) and the particle starts with 0m/s velocity at x=0. After integrating F between x=0 and x=3, the total work is found to be 9 Joules. To find the power given to the particle at x=3, the velocity must be found using the fact that power is equal to force multiplied by velocity. By using the chain rule and performing an integral, the velocity can be found and the power can then be calculated.
diegojco
I have a trouble with this problem:

Suppose you have a particle with mass 30Kg, this particle is in influence of a force F that acts along the x-axis and F=6+4x-3(x^2) and at x=0 the particle has 0m/s speed. Find the total work made by F between x=0 and x=3, then find the power given to the particle when x=3. (answers= 9 Joules and 22 Watts)

Well the first thing is easy, only I have to integrate F between 0 and 3. but the second question I can't see what's to be done. I try to use the fact that if I have the work I must get the final time but I don't have an expression for the trayectory.

Another way I have tried is to get the function of position by the fact that

F=ma, a=F/m dv/dt=(6+4x-3(x^2))/m

this is a partial differential equation involving the second derivative of a function u(x,t) and the general solution I get is:

u(x,t)=a(x)+b(x)t+(t^2)((6+4x-3(x^2))/2m)

but I don't have the sufficient conditions to get a good boundary problem or initial problem to separate a particular solution.

My questions are: what conditions could I put, or what other way, easier, could I take to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
mdv/dt = 6 + 4x -3x^2 is a seperable second order differential equation.

problem: there are no v terms in the force only x terms.
solution: note that F is a position dependent force.

problem: can't find a term for time.
solution: is time really nescessary for finding power?

this is a much better way to formulate the problem. nevermind about parioal derivatives and general solutions and whatever else. you don't need all that for this.

By conservation of energy, the work done is equal to the change in kinetic energy, which is 1/2mv^2. Use your answer to the first part and solve for v. Power is Fv.

Thanks

Thanks for the thinking. Another problem that is easier than i have wonder.

power = work/time
=((force*distance)/time
= force* (distance/time)
= force*velocity

to find the velocity

dv/dt = dv/dx (dx/dt) = dv/dx *v from the chain rule.

vdv = Fdx

perform the integral. done.

Related to Interesting and annoying power problem

1. What is an "interesting and annoying power problem"?

An "interesting and annoying power problem" refers to a situation where there is a disruption or issue with the power supply, which can be both fascinating and frustrating for scientists to study and solve.

2. What are some common causes of power problems?

Power problems can be caused by a variety of factors such as weather events, equipment malfunctions, human error, or natural disasters. They can also be the result of outdated or inadequate infrastructure.

3. How do scientists approach solving power problems?

Scientists use a systematic approach to identify the root cause of the problem and develop solutions. This may involve analyzing data, conducting experiments, and collaborating with other experts in the field.

4. What are the potential consequences of power problems?

Power problems can have serious consequences, including disruption of services, damage to equipment, and financial losses. They can also pose a threat to public safety in certain situations.

5. How can we prevent power problems from occurring?

To prevent power problems, it is important to have a well-maintained and modern power grid, invest in renewable energy sources, and implement proper safety protocols. It is also crucial to regularly monitor and address any potential issues before they escalate into larger problems.