Interesting mechanics experiments

In summary, a student new to a forum is looking for ideas and resources for an experiment related to their physics course. They had chosen a simple pendulum experiment but were told by a TA that it was not considered original or interesting. The student is seeking suggestions for more creative experiments.
kajusu
Hello! I am new to this forum so I don't know if I am posting this under the right part. Anyway, I am an undergrad and my phys 101 mechanics course requires to come up with an experiment related to the course content, write a report on it and present it to TAs. I decided on a simple pendulum experiment (measuring the period and g) but the TA said it was not "original and interesting". I really want my experiment to be good. In short, I would appreciate any ideas or some resources for creative experiments. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is tough as what is "original and interesting" is a matter of personal experience (and to some extent every experiment on the 101 level is trivial and boring to graduates).

Likes Psinter

Related to Interesting mechanics experiments

What are interesting mechanics experiments?

Interesting mechanics experiments are hands-on activities that demonstrate various principles and concepts in mechanics. They involve manipulating objects and observing their behavior to understand how forces and motion work.

Why are mechanics experiments important?

Mechanics experiments are important for understanding the physical world around us. They allow us to test and validate scientific theories, and provide insights into the fundamental laws of nature that govern motion and forces.

What are some examples of interesting mechanics experiments?

Some examples of interesting mechanics experiments include building a simple machine such as a lever or pulley, creating a Rube Goldberg machine, conducting a pendulum experiment, or exploring the effects of friction on different surfaces.

Do I need special equipment or materials for mechanics experiments?

While some mechanics experiments may require specific materials or equipment, many can be done with everyday objects found at home or in a classroom. It's important to read through the instructions and gather all necessary materials before starting an experiment.

Are mechanics experiments suitable for all ages?

Yes, mechanics experiments can be tailored to different age groups and levels of understanding. There are simple experiments that can be done with children to introduce basic concepts, as well as more advanced experiments for older students or adults.