Why Do Penny Stacks Bond Together?

• Thread starter Kirahlogin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, the conversation discussed possible causes for strong bonding between stacks of Pennies on a table, including using superglue, the strong force, cyanoacrylate ester, and epoxy. However, it was also suggested not to encourage the person who caused the bonding as they may do it again.
Kirahlogin
TL;DR Summary
There were stacks of Pennies on the table. each penny was bonded so tightly, even to the desk
What may have caused this bonding

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Kirahlogin said:
Summary:: There were stacks of Pennies on the table. each penny was bonded so tightly, even to the desk

What may have caused this bonding
Superglue?

You will need to give a lot more detail if you want our help. Also, so far this thread seems misplaced in the Chemistry forum. It may get moved once we understand the context and details of your question.

Likes sysprog, BillTre and Vanadium 50
The strong force?

• Haha
Likes sysprog and BillTre
I think that as @berkeman suggested, maybe cyanoacrylate ester ##-## and I agree with him regarding the necessity of furtherance of the specification of the question ##\dots##

Likes BillTre
I prefer epoxy.

Likes sysprog
BillTre said:
I prefer epoxy.
That's way two complicated!

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes Borek, DrStupid, DaveE and 5 others
berkeman said:
That's way two complicated!

I saw what you did there.

• Haha
Likes Borek, sysprog, berkeman and 1 other person
Vanadium 50 said:
I saw what you did there.
Yeah but for cryin' out loud, let's don't tell anyone. I mean if we encourage him, he's just going to do it again.

• Haha
Likes sysprog and BillTre

1. How many pennies can you stack before it falls over?

The exact number of pennies that can be stacked before it falls over depends on several factors such as the surface the stack is on, the size and weight of the pennies, and the stability of the person stacking them. On average, a stack of around 500-600 pennies can be achieved before it becomes unstable.

2. Can you stack pennies in different shapes?

Yes, pennies can be stacked in various shapes such as a pyramid, a tower, or even a bridge. However, the stability and height of the stack may vary depending on the shape and the number of pennies used.

3. What is the world record for the tallest penny stack?

The current world record for the tallest penny stack is 1,030,315 pennies, which was achieved by a team in the United States in 2014.

4. How long does it take to stack a certain number of pennies?

The time it takes to stack a certain number of pennies can vary greatly depending on the person's skill and the complexity of the stack. On average, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours to stack a large number of pennies.

5. Are there any scientific principles behind stacking pennies?

Yes, stacking pennies involves the principles of balance, center of gravity, and stability. It requires careful placement and distribution of weight to create a stable stack. It can also be a fun way to learn about physics and engineering concepts.