Interesting Youtube videos on fixing nonworking engines

In summary, the conversation discusses a popular YouTube channel, mustie1, who repairs old and broken engines, including a generator that hasn't run for years. The channel also features videos of him fixing mopeds, motorcycles, and other small engines, often with frozen engines. Mustie1 provides a running commentary while working and ensures viewers can see his actions. The conversation also mentions a personal experience with gas-powered lawn mowers and a solution of using a corded electric mower. The speaker expresses their admiration for mustie1's skills and plans to watch more of his videos.
I've recently viewed a bunch of YouTube videos by mustie1. Here's one, in which he repairs an old generator that hasn't run for years --

In other videos that I've seen, he takes mopeds, motorcycles, and a variety of things with small engines, and gets them running, even some with frozen engines. He goes through the basics, checking that there is spark, fuel, and compression. I'm amazed that he can start with an engine that's completely locked up, and wind up with something that runs pretty well. Of course, maybe he's unsuccessful sometimes, and doesn't post those experiments.

He gives a running commentary while he's working on the engines, and takes pains to get the camera angle so the viewer can see what he's doing.

Likes Mech_Engineer, jedishrfu, gleem and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a great video. It's got a simple format with great camera placement and some great commentary about what's going on and how he does his analysis.

Getting that motor started reminded me of why I hated gas powered lawn mowers. It would always happen that when I was in a hurry to get the lawn done the motor wouldn't start and then I had to pull the plug to clean it and try again. I always wind up with a sore arm.

My solution was to buy a corded electric mower and learn how to navigate cutting the grass, avoiding obstacles and not cutting or getting entangled with the cord.

Wow, I'm definitely going to have to check out those videos! It's always impressive to see someone with the skills and knowledge to revive old and seemingly broken engines. It's even more amazing that he's able to do it with frozen engines. I'll have to keep in mind his method of checking for spark, fuel, and compression. It's also great that he takes the time to explain his process and make sure viewers can see what he's doing. Thanks for sharing, I'll definitely be checking out more of his videos!

1. How do I know if a Youtube video on fixing nonworking engines is reliable?

In order to determine the reliability of a Youtube video on fixing nonworking engines, you should look for videos from reputable sources such as professional mechanics or automotive companies. Additionally, check the comments and ratings on the video to see if others have had success with the methods shown.

2. Are there any safety precautions I should take while following a Youtube tutorial on fixing nonworking engines?

Yes, it is important to always follow safety precautions when working with engines. Make sure to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and eye protection, and to work in a well-ventilated area. If the tutorial suggests using any specific tools or techniques, make sure to follow them carefully.

3. Can I fix a nonworking engine on my own by following a Youtube video?

It depends on the extent of the issue with your engine and your personal mechanical skills. Some issues may be simple enough for a non-professional to fix with the help of a Youtube video, while others may require the expertise of a professional mechanic. It is important to assess your own abilities and proceed with caution.

4. Are there any specific tools or equipment I will need to follow a Youtube tutorial on fixing nonworking engines?

The necessary tools and equipment may vary depending on the specific tutorial and the issue with your engine. However, in general, you will likely need basic tools such as wrenches, sockets, and screwdrivers. It is best to watch the tutorial beforehand to ensure you have all the necessary tools and equipment on hand.

5. Can I use a Youtube video to fix any type of nonworking engine?

Youtube videos on fixing nonworking engines may cover a wide range of issues and types of engines, but it is important to make sure the specific tutorial you are watching applies to your engine. If you are unsure, it is best to consult a professional mechanic for assistance.