Interference of Waves, Sound Diminution

In summary, the machine emits a loud sound at 1400 Hz, and your company has been hired to help with the situation. You determine that the machine emits the sound at a frequency that is being reflected by the walls, and you propose to install mesh screens in front of the walls to reduce the amount of sound that is being reflected.
alingy1
A manufacturing firm has hired your company, Acoustical Consulting, to help with a problem. Their employees are complaining about the annoying hum from a piece of machinery. Using a frequency meter, you quickly determine that the machine emits a rather loud sound at 1400 Hz. After investigating, you tell the owner that you cannot solve the problem entirely, but you can at least improve the situation by eliminating reflections of this sound from the walls. You propose to do this by installing mesh screens in front of the walls. A portion of the sound will reflect from the mesh; the rest will pass through the mesh and reflect from the wall.How far should the mesh be placed in front of the wall for this scheme to work?

I have the answer right in front of me, along with the steps. But the solution manual just mentions that Δø0 (the phase difference) is simply 0. Can you check my reasoning of why it is 0? The sound wave gets into the mesh (-pi reversal for the reflected wave) and then reflects on the wall (-pi reversal again for the reflected wave on the wall). So, when sound waves go from denser to less dense areas, the waves don't get inverted. They do get inverted when they from less dense to dense.

So, because the waves that are traveling away from the wall are inverted, they have 0 phase difference? Right?

If anyone wants to solve the problem just for kicks, the answer is 7.15 cm.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the line of thinking I would have used.

I'd like to see (i.e., hear) the scheme in action. Where can I glimpse a mesh that reflects a significant percentage of incident sound?

use the speed of sound to solve for wavelength. Then because technically the wall and the air is a close-open tube, you can say 4L = wavelength to solve for L.

1. What is the interference of waves?

The interference of waves is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves overlap in the same space. This can result in either constructive interference, where the waves combine to create a larger amplitude, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out.

2. How does interference affect sound diminution?

Interference of waves can affect sound diminution by causing destructive interference, where the overlapping waves cancel each other out and decrease the overall amplitude of the sound. This can result in a decrease in the perceived loudness of the sound.

3. What are some examples of interference of waves in everyday life?

Interference of waves can be observed in many everyday situations, such as when you hear a fainter sound when standing at the midpoint between two speakers playing the same music, or when you see colorful patterns on soap bubbles due to the interference of light waves.

4. Can interference of waves be used intentionally?

Yes, interference of waves can be intentionally used in various applications. For example, noise-cancelling headphones use destructive interference to reduce unwanted external noise. Interference patterns can also be used in optical devices such as diffraction gratings to separate and analyze light of different wavelengths.

5. How can interference of waves be mathematically described?

The mathematical description of interference of waves is based on the principles of superposition, where the displacement of the resulting wave at any point is equal to the sum of the individual displacements of the overlapping waves at that point. This can be described using equations such as the superposition principle, interference equation, and path difference equation.