Intergration using logarithms

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to evaluate the integral of 3/(3x-2) dx from 0 to -1 using the change of variables method. The individual encountered some difficulty in understanding how to get to the solution of ln (3x-2) and needed help in reviewing basic algebra. Eventually, with the help of substituting y=3x-2, the integral can be easily evaluated.
kuahji
Evaluate the integral.

[tex]\int3/(3x-2) dx[/tex] from 0 to -1 (top to bottom).

I change the equation to [tex(1/x - 3/2) dx[/tex]
then integrated ln x-3/2x, but ln x at 0 is undefined.

The textbook shows it as becoming ln (3x-2), but I'm not completely understanding how to get to that.

Physics news on Phys.org
substitute y = 3x-2

Thanks, that worked. I'm just a bit rusty I reckon.

Caution: you are going to find it very difficult to do Calculus if you cannot do basic algebra.

[itex]a/(b+c)[/itex] is not equal to (a/b)+ (a/c)!

You had better review your algebra.

HallsofIvy said:
Caution: you are going to find it very difficult to do Calculus if you cannot do basic algebra.

[itex]a/(b+c)[/itex] is not equal to (a/b)+ (a/c)!

Hmm, guess you're right. I've always used (a+b)/c=a/c+b/c but guess I just assumed it would work vice versa. Is there any combination it does equal?

My 1st help in answering !

1- You have to use change of variables method.
2- Substitute den with a variable and take derivative of this wrt x
3- Using this var the limits will change
4- Once you do 2 and with new limits from 3, the integral will be easy.

Thanks

Asif

1. What is integration using logarithms?

Integration using logarithms is a mathematical method of solving integrals that involve logarithmic functions. It allows us to rewrite a complicated integral in terms of simpler logarithmic functions, making it easier to solve.

2. When should I use integration using logarithms?

Integration using logarithms is useful for integrating functions that involve logarithmic terms, such as ln(x) or log(x). It can also be used when the integrand (function being integrated) involves a product or quotient of logarithmic functions.

3. How do I perform integration using logarithms?

To perform integration using logarithms, you first need to identify the type of integral you have and apply the corresponding logarithmic rule. This may involve rewriting the integrand in a different form, using properties of logarithms, or applying a substitution. Then, you can use integration techniques such as u-substitution or integration by parts to solve the integral.

4. What are the benefits of using integration using logarithms?

Using integration using logarithms can simplify complicated integrals and make them easier to solve. It can also help to identify patterns and relationships between different integrals. Additionally, integration using logarithms can be used to solve a variety of problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

5. Can integration using logarithms be used for all integrals involving logarithmic functions?

No, integration using logarithms is not applicable to all integrals involving logarithmic functions. It is only useful for certain types of integrals, such as those with logarithmic terms or products/quotients of logarithmic functions. Other integration techniques may be needed for other types of integrals.