Interior Diagonal of Polygons: Proving Existence

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interior
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that every polygon with more than 3 sides has an interior diagonal. The solution involves considering the convexity of the polygon and using a ray sweeping technique to prove that there is an internal line connecting a vertex to a non-adjacent edge of the polygon. This is necessary to prove the existence of an interior diagonal.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

I want to show that every polygon with more than 3 sides has an interior diagonal.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If the polygon is convex, this is obvious. If not, there is an interior angle at some vertex, say V, that is greater than 180 degrees. Then I think a ray emanating from V and sweeping the interior of the polygon must strike another vertex. I cannot find a counterexample to that, but I am not sure how to prove that. It seems like the polygon would be infinite if that is not true, but how can I explain that?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the rays from the vertex don't hit another vertex then the first side that they hit must be the same side no matter what the angle. So if you are viewing a segment from a point can it sweep an angle of over 180 degrees?

You might be able to start by showing that there is an internal line from your vertex to a non-adjacent edge of the polygon.

Related to Interior Diagonal of Polygons: Proving Existence

What is the interior diagonal of a polygon?

The interior diagonal of a polygon is a line segment that connects two non-adjacent vertices of the polygon and lies entirely inside the polygon.

Why is it important to prove the existence of interior diagonals in polygons?

Proving the existence of interior diagonals in polygons is important because it helps us to understand the properties and relationships of polygons. It also allows us to solve geometric problems and make accurate measurements.

How do you prove the existence of an interior diagonal in a polygon?

The existence of an interior diagonal in a polygon can be proven by using a proof by contradiction. This involves assuming that the diagonal does not exist and then showing that this leads to a contradiction. If there is no contradiction, then the diagonal must exist.

What is the relationship between the number of sides of a polygon and the number of interior diagonals?

The relationship between the number of sides of a polygon and the number of interior diagonals is given by the formula n(n-3)/2, where n represents the number of sides. This means that as the number of sides increases, the number of interior diagonals also increases.

Can a polygon have an infinite number of interior diagonals?

No, a polygon cannot have an infinite number of interior diagonals. The number of interior diagonals is always finite and can be calculated using the formula n(n-3)/2, where n is the number of sides. As the number of sides approaches infinity, the number of interior diagonals approaches infinity as well, but it never reaches infinity.