Interior products, exterior derivatives and one forms

In summary, the interior product between a vector and a p-form is defined as the (p-1)-form, where the action of the vector on the p-form is determined by the given formula. The expressions involving the exterior derivative and a 1-form can be proven to be equal by considering the right order of operators, as the exterior differentiation does not commute with the interior product.
spaghetti3451
If ##\bf{v}## is a vector and ##\alpha## is a ##p##-form, their interior product ##(p-1)##-form ##i_{\bf{v}}\alpha## is defined by##i_{\bf{v}}\alpha^{0}=\bf{0}####i_{\bf{v}}\alpha^{1}=\alpha({\bf{v}})####i_{\bf{v}}\alpha^{p}({\bf{w}}_{2},\dots,{\bf{w}}_{p})=\alpha^{p}({\bf{v}},{\bf{w}}_{2},\dots,{\bf{w}}_{p})##Now consider the following expressions, where ##\bf{d}## is the exterior derivative and ##\nu## is a ##1##=form.How do you prove that the two expressions are equal to each other?##i_{\bf{v}}\textbf{d}(\textbf{d}\nu)+\textbf{d}i_{\bf{v}}(\textbf{d}\nu)##

##\textbf{d}(i_{\bf{v}}\textbf{d}\nu)+\textbf{d}(\textbf{d}i_{\bf{v}}\nu)##

The exterior differentiation is nilpotent to a degree of 2. It won't commute with the interior differentiation*, therefore you need to consider the right order of operators, that is acting to the right (pun intended!).

*See below

Last edited:
dextercioby, what do you mean by "interior differentiation" ?

Sorry, interior product. I've amended my post.

1. What is the difference between interior products, exterior derivatives, and one forms?

Interior products, exterior derivatives, and one forms are all mathematical concepts used in differential geometry. The main difference between them is that an interior product is a map from a vector space to a vector space, an exterior derivative is a map from a space of differential forms to another space of differential forms, and a one form is a special type of differential form that takes in one vector as an input.

2. What are some real-life applications of interior products, exterior derivatives, and one forms?

Interior products, exterior derivatives, and one forms are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, in physics, exterior derivatives are used to describe the dynamics of electromagnetic fields, while interior products are used in the study of fluid mechanics. In engineering, one forms are used to model stress and strain in materials. In computer science, exterior derivatives are used in computer graphics to calculate surface normals for 3D objects.

3. How are interior products, exterior derivatives, and one forms related to each other?

Interior products and exterior derivatives are closely related, as both are operations on differential forms. In fact, the interior product is defined as the dual of the exterior derivative. One forms are a special case of differential forms, and can also be thought of as the dual of a vector space. This means that there is a natural duality between interior products, exterior derivatives, and one forms.

4. What are some properties of interior products, exterior derivatives, and one forms?

Interior products, exterior derivatives, and one forms have various properties, such as linearity, associativity, and commutativity. They also satisfy the Leibniz rule, which states that the exterior derivative of the product of two forms is equal to the product of the exterior derivatives of the individual forms. Additionally, interior products and exterior derivatives can be used to define a Lie bracket, which is a fundamental operation in differential geometry.

5. How can I learn more about interior products, exterior derivatives, and one forms?

There are many resources available for learning about interior products, exterior derivatives, and one forms. Some recommended texts include "Differential Forms in Algebraic Topology" by Bott and Tu, "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Do Carmo, and "An Introduction to Differentiable Manifolds and Riemannian Geometry" by Lee. Additionally, there are many online tutorials and lecture notes available for free that cover these topics in detail.