Intermediate pressure in a two-stage compressor

In summary, the prompt outlines a 2-stage adiabatic compression cycle where the first compressor pressurizes atmospheric air to P2 and the compressed air is cooled before passing through a second compressor. The objective is to calculate the optimum value of P2 that will result in the lowest sum of the workload of the two compressors. The homework equations provided are |W|=αnRT1*[(P2/P1)(γ-1)/γ-1] and γ=7/5, α=5/2 for ideal gas. The attempt at a solution involves using the ideal gas law and finding the minimum of a given equation to determine the optimum P2 value. However, the equation does not have an absolute minimum,
cshin10

Homework Statement

The prompt says that there's a 2-stage adiabatic compression cycle where the first compressor pressurizes atmospheric air (0psig or 14.7psia) to P2, and the compressed air is cooled by a cooler to the initial temperature, and passes through another compressor to 350psig or 364.7psia. The question to calculate the optimum P2, which is the P2 that will give the lowest sum of the workload of the two compressors.

Homework Equations

|W|=αnRT1*[(P2/P1)(γ-1)/γ-1]
For ideal gas, γ=7/5, α=5/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am supposed to derive P2 by hand and then compare it with CHEMCAD simulation results, but I am completely stuck on the hand calculation part. What I've written above is literally everything the prompt tells me... My simulation results show that a pressure ratio of 5.04 and 4.923 at each compressor gives the minimum work, which coincides with the popular heuristic for optimal P2 in a two-stage compressor. I guess ideal gas law can be used since it's just air.
I've tried doing it this way.
W1=5/2*nRT1*((P2/P1)^(2/7)-1)
W2=5/2*nRT1*((P3/P2)^(2/7)-1)
WTotal=W1+W2
=5/2*nRT1[(P2/P1)^(2/7)+(P3/P2)^(2/7)-2)

So the minimum of (P2/14.7)^(2/7)+(364.7/P2)^(2/7)-2 would give the optimum P2 value but this thing doesn't have an absolute minimum and I am stuck...

Physics news on Phys.org
It might not have an absolute minimum (did not check this) but it has exactly one relative minimum in the relevant pressure range.

What is intermediate pressure in a two-stage compressor?

Intermediate pressure refers to the level of air pressure that is achieved after the first stage of compression in a two-stage compressor. It is the pressure at which the compressed air is then sent to the second stage for further compression.

Why is intermediate pressure important in a two-stage compressor?

Intermediate pressure allows for more efficient compression by reducing the workload of the second stage. It also helps to prevent overheating and mechanical stress on the compressor, leading to longer lifespan and better performance.

How is intermediate pressure controlled in a two-stage compressor?

Intermediate pressure is typically controlled by a pressure sensor or regulator that monitors and adjusts the air pressure as needed. This ensures that the compressor operates at the desired level of pressure and prevents any potential damage.

What are the benefits of using a two-stage compressor with intermediate pressure?

Two-stage compressors with intermediate pressure offer several benefits, including higher efficiency, reduced energy consumption, and increased durability. They are also able to handle higher pressure levels, making them suitable for various industrial and commercial applications.

Are there any drawbacks to using intermediate pressure in a two-stage compressor?

While intermediate pressure can improve the performance and longevity of a two-stage compressor, it may also increase the initial cost and complexity of the system. Additionally, if not properly maintained, intermediate pressure can lead to issues such as air leaks and pressure drops.