How Is Heat Calculated for an Ideal Gas at Constant Volume?

The expression for the total heat brought to the system is ##Q=nC_v(T_f-T_i)##. In summary, the expression for the total heat brought to the system is ##Q=nC_v(T_f-T_i)## using ##PV=nRT## and ##E=Q##.
diredragon

Homework Statement

An ideal gass is at constant volume risen to a new pressure level of ##P_f##. Find te expression for the total heat brought to the system.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
So ##PV=nRT## and ##E=Q## ##Q=C_v(T_f-T_i)## so i just have to find ##(P_f-P_i)V=nR(Tf-Ti)## with the last term being what i need...?

Physics news on Phys.org
diredragon said:

Homework Statement

An ideal gass is at constant volume risen to a new pressure level of ##P_f##. Find te expression for the total heat brought to the system.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
So ##PV=nRT## and ##E=Q## ##Q=C_v(T_f-T_i)## so i just have to find ##(P_f-P_i)V=nR(Tf-Ti)## with the last term being what i need...?
The equations you have written can be used, provided you write ##Q=nC_v(T_f-T_i)##, where Cv is the molar heat capacity and n is the number of moles.

Likes diredragon

Related to How Is Heat Calculated for an Ideal Gas at Constant Volume?

1. What is the internal heat of an ideal gas?

The internal heat of an ideal gas refers to the total energy contained within the gas particles, including their kinetic energy and potential energy.

2. How is the internal heat of an ideal gas related to temperature?

The internal heat of an ideal gas is directly proportional to its temperature. As the temperature of the gas increases, the average kinetic energy of the gas particles also increases, resulting in a higher internal heat.

3. Can the internal heat of an ideal gas change?

Yes, the internal heat of an ideal gas can change if there is a change in temperature, pressure, or volume of the gas. This is described by the ideal gas law, which states that the internal heat of an ideal gas is directly proportional to its temperature and inversely proportional to its pressure and volume.

4. What is the specific heat capacity of an ideal gas?

The specific heat capacity of an ideal gas is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one unit mass of the gas by one degree Celsius. This value is dependent on the type of gas and can vary with temperature and pressure.

5. How is the internal heat of an ideal gas measured?

The internal heat of an ideal gas can be measured using calorimetry, which involves measuring the amount of heat absorbed or released by the gas during a temperature change. It can also be calculated using the ideal gas law, if the other variables are known.