Internal Structure of SARS-CoV-2 virus

In summary, SARS-CoV-2 does not have a Reverse Transcriptase enzyme, like other coronaviruses. Instead, it uses an RNA-dependent RNA polymerase enzyme to copy its RNA genome.
Rongeet Banerjee
Homework Statement:: Does Sars-cov-2 Virus have Reverse Transcriptase enzyme for its replication purpose?
Relevant Equations:: None

I surfed Google for a relevant answer to my query but failed to find one.I just want to confirm whether Sars-cov-2 has the Reverse Transcriptase or not.Logically it should because that's the only way I have read RNA Viruses multiply.First they enter the cell,then they convert their RNA into DNA ,which integrates with our DNA and then viral subunits are coded.

Biology news on Phys.org
No, coronaviruses do not reverse transcribe their RNA into DNA. Instead, infected cells use the Coronavirus RNA directly to produce new viral proteins.

Edit: just realized this was in the homework section. But it doesn't really sound like a homework question.

Likes Rongeet Banerjee and berkeman
Sometimes doing a simple Google search isn't good enough. I would recommend looking at scientific papers, particularly the Introduction section. One place I like to search for such papers is on Protein Data Bank. For instance, I did a search for SARS-CoV-2 on PDB, clicked the first entry, clicked the link to the paper, and the introduction had this to day: " Like all coronaviruses, SARS-CoV-2 has a positive sense (+), single-stranded RNA (ssRNA) genome."

Hope that helps!

Likes Rongeet Banerjee and TeethWhitener
Moved to Biology.

Likes Rongeet Banerjee and TeethWhitener
Thomas Michael said:
Sometimes doing a simple Google search isn't good enough. I would recommend looking at scientific papers, particularly the Introduction section. One place I like to search for such papers is on Protein Data Bank. For instance, I did a search for SARS-CoV-2 on PDB, clicked the first entry, clicked the link to the paper, and the introduction had this to day: " Like all coronaviruses, SARS-CoV-2 has a positive sense (+), single-stranded RNA (ssRNA) genome."

Hope that helps!
This is a good answer, but I would just add for clarity that “positive sense” means that the RNA is directly translatable to proteins. It’s not obvious that OP would know to look for this. (Also, some positive sense viruses reverse transcribe—like HIV)

Likes Rongeet Banerjee and Thomas Michael
Rongeet Banerjee said:
Homework Statement:: Does Sars-cov-2 Virus have Reverse Transcriptase enzyme for its replication purpose?
Relevant Equations:: None

I surfed Google for a relevant answer to my query but failed to find one.I just want to confirm whether Sars-cov-2 has the Reverse Transcriptase or not.Logically it should because that's the only way I have read RNA Viruses multiply.First they enter the cell,then they convert their RNA into DNA ,which integrates with our DNA and then viral subunits are coded.

SARS-CoV-2, like many other RNA viruses, uses an RNA-dependent RNA polymerase (RdRp) enzyme to directly copy its single-stranded RNA genome, synthesizing a complementary RNA strand to make a double-stranded RNA. This double stranded RNA can then be used by the RdRp to make more viral RNA genome molecules (by copying of the complementary RNA strand). As stated by others, the viral RNA genome can act as an mRNA molecule that gets recognized by the ribosome and translated into protein, allowing production of the viral proteins.

For more information see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive-strand_RNA_virus#Replication

Likes Rongeet Banerjee
:bow:Thank You Everyone.
I really appreciate all your help .

Likes Thomas Michael

1. What is the internal structure of the SARS-CoV-2 virus?

The SARS-CoV-2 virus is a spherical-shaped virus with a diameter of approximately 125 nanometers. It is composed of a lipid envelope, spike proteins, membrane proteins, and nucleocapsid proteins.

2. How does the internal structure of the SARS-CoV-2 virus contribute to its infectivity?

The spike proteins on the surface of the virus play a crucial role in its infectivity. These proteins bind to specific receptors on human cells, allowing the virus to enter and infect the cell.

3. What is the role of the lipid envelope in the SARS-CoV-2 virus?

The lipid envelope is a layer of fat that surrounds the virus and helps protect it from the environment. It also contains the spike proteins, which are essential for the virus to enter human cells.

4. How does the internal structure of the SARS-CoV-2 virus differ from other coronaviruses?

The SARS-CoV-2 virus has a similar internal structure to other coronaviruses, such as SARS and MERS. However, it has a unique spike protein that allows it to bind more tightly to human cells, making it more infectious.

5. Can changes in the internal structure of the SARS-CoV-2 virus affect its transmission or severity of symptoms?

Yes, changes in the internal structure of the virus can affect its transmission and severity of symptoms. For example, mutations in the spike protein can make the virus more or less infectious, and changes in other proteins can impact how the virus interacts with the human immune system.