International Change Electric Charge Day

In summary, the conversation is about the potential change of convention in the international scientific community to switch all negatively charged particles to positive and vice versa. The speaker is unsure if this change would be beneficial and acknowledges the difficulty of implementing it. They also mention confusion and the potential need to rewrite millions of documents and software. The source is not specified and the conversation ends with the thread closing due to idle speculation.
fedaykin
Hello.

What would you think of the international scientific community calling to change all negatively charged particles to positive and vice versa? Do you think there's a circumstance where we should switch or should have switched?

The only reason I brought this up is that it came up when describing an electron microscope to one of our IT personnel, and I got confused as to the disk held connected to ground (the anode). I suspect it would be too difficult to do this as millions of documents would need to be rewritten, software rewritten, etc. In other words, it would still cause more confusion than good even if there were widespread awareness of the change of convention.

Physics news on Phys.org
fedaykin said:
Hello.

What would you think of the international scientific community calling to change all negatively charged particles to positive and vice versa?

What "international scientific community" is calling to do this dumb thing?

Zz.

Likes Evo
fedaykin said:
I suspect it would be too difficult to do this as millions of documents would need to be rewritten, software rewritten, etc.

Bingo. It's a lot easier just to tell people, "It's Ben Franklin's fault" when they get confused.

fedaykin said:
Hello.

What would you think of the international scientific community calling to change all negatively charged particles to positive and vice versa? Do you think there's a circumstance where we should switch or should have switched?

The only reason I brought this up is that it came up when describing an electron microscope to one of our IT personnel, and I got confused as to the disk held connected to ground (the anode). I suspect it would be too difficult to do this as millions of documents would need to be rewritten, software rewritten, etc. In other words, it would still cause more confusion than good even if there were widespread awareness of the change of convention.
Please post the source for this.

Evo said:
Please post the source for this.
He's asking what would people think, not what do people think. It's a "what if" proposition, not a statement of fact.

zoobyshoe said:
He's asking what would people think, not what do people think. It's a "what if" proposition, not a statement of fact.
Ah, ok, thread closed, we don't do idle speculation. See post #2.

1. What is International Change Electric Charge Day?

International Change Electric Charge Day is a day dedicated to raising awareness about the importance of sustainable energy and promoting the transition to cleaner and renewable sources of electricity.

2. When is International Change Electric Charge Day?

International Change Electric Charge Day is celebrated annually on April 22nd, coinciding with Earth Day.

3. Why is it important to change our electric charge?

The majority of the world's electricity is currently generated from non-renewable sources, such as coal and oil, which contribute to air and water pollution and contribute to climate change. By changing our electric charge to renewable sources, we can reduce our carbon footprint and help mitigate the effects of climate change.

4. How can I participate in International Change Electric Charge Day?

There are many ways to participate in International Change Electric Charge Day, such as switching to renewable energy providers, reducing energy consumption, and advocating for sustainable energy policies.

5. What impact can changing electric charge on one day have?

While changing electric charge on one day may not have a significant impact on its own, the goal of International Change Electric Charge Day is to raise awareness and inspire individuals and communities to take action towards a more sustainable future. Every small change can make a big difference in the long run.