Internships vs. Graduate School

In summary: If you are worried about money, then you may want to delay going to the masters program until you have a few years of work experience under your belt.
Ben1010
So I am currently an undergrad student working on a BS of EE. I ultimately want to get a masters degree in biomedical engineering from a certain school. I currently lack work experience in engineering. I would like to find a job dealing with electrical equipment in a hospital or some medical setting. I can't find such an internship, so do I get an internship in like...communication EE even though it has nothing to do with what I want just so I can have experience in the EE field?

Second question is should I go to grad school right after undergrad or work as an EE for a few years before going to grad school for biomed?

Physics news on Phys.org
I Don't think you need an internship to get into a masters program. Is your ultimate goal industry or academia?

Frankly, I would avoid an internship if possible. I find them abusive. There does not seem to be any requirement that the "employer" actually provide you with any particular benefit. It seems like they can make you "get coffee" for however long you are there, then kick you out. You could spend the entire time doing "joe jobs" for nothing, wind up learning nothing, and come out no better than when you entered. Except you will be older and maybe more in debt.

I would either get a real job, or go straight to the masters. Most universities are not particularly keen to see you have work experience to get into a masters degree. They want your undergrad marks, probably a good letter of recommendation from a prof. If you are keen on the masters then the only reason to put in any work time would be to save money to pay for your time in university. If your finances allow, go straight to the masters. The younger you are when you finish the better.

I would look more closely at whether your current classes are what the university of your choice wants for entry to the program you want. Google it, look at the website of your intended university program, maybe email a few people at that school. If that all lines up, then go for it without the internship.

Question 1: What is the main difference between internships and graduate school?

The main difference between internships and graduate school is the focus and purpose. Internships are usually short-term work experiences that provide hands-on training and practical skills in a specific field. On the other hand, graduate school is a formal education program that leads to a master's or doctoral degree in a specific subject area.

Question 2: Which option is better for gaining real-world experience?

Both internships and graduate school can provide valuable real-world experience, but in different ways. Internships allow for direct application of knowledge and skills in a professional setting, while graduate school offers a more theoretical and research-based approach to learning. It ultimately depends on your career goals and personal preferences.

Question 3: Can internships count towards graduate school requirements?

Some graduate programs may allow you to count internship experiences towards degree requirements, but this varies by institution and program. It's best to check with your specific program to see if they have any specific guidelines or requirements for internships to count towards your degree.

Question 4: Does having an internship increase your chances of getting accepted into graduate school?

Having an internship can certainly strengthen your graduate school application, as it shows your commitment and practical experience in your chosen field. However, internships are not a guarantee for acceptance into graduate school. Admissions decisions also consider factors such as academic achievements, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

Question 5: Which option is more beneficial for career advancement?

Both internships and graduate school can be beneficial for career advancement, but in different ways. Internships can provide you with practical skills and networking opportunities, while graduate school can give you a deeper understanding of your field and open up opportunities for higher-level positions. Ultimately, it depends on your career goals and what you are looking to gain from your education and work experiences.