Interpolate value in velocity vs time table

In summary, the table gives the rectilinear motion of a 4kg mass over a 5 s time interval. The velocity increased by 7 m/s over .5 s.
rasen58

Homework Statement

Table gives the rectilinear motion of a 4kg mass over a 5 s time interval.
upload_2015-6-3_17-46-56.png

When the time was 3.8 seconds, the velocity of the mass was approximately what

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first just tried to find the average of the velocities at 3.5 and 4.0 seconds, so (23+30)/2 = 26.5 m/s.
But that was wrong as the answer should be 27.1 m/s.

Then, I also saw that it wasn't linear, so I tried modeling the data to an exponential function of form A= Pe^(rt).
And tried plugging in two points to find the constants and then plugged in 3.8 for t, but that didn't really work and gave me different values depending on which two initial points I used.

How should this problem be done?

Physics news on Phys.org
rasen58 said:
I first just tried to find the average of the velocities at 3.5 and 4.0 seconds, so (23+30)/2 = 26.5 m/s.
That gives you an approximation of the velocity at 3.75 s.

From the table, how much does the velocity increase in the 0.5 s between 3.5 s and 4.0 s? So approximately how much does it increase in the 0.3 s between 3.5 s and 3.8s?

Likes rasen58
MrAnchovy said:
That gives you an approximation of the velocity at 3.75 s.

From the table, how much does the velocity increase in the 0.5 s between 3.5 s and 4.0 s? So approximately how much does it increase in the 0.3 s between 3.5 s and 3.8s?
Oh, I see now.
So the velocity increased by 7 m/s over .5 s. So to find how much it increased every 0.1 s, I would do 7/5 = 1.4 m/s.
To find the v at 3.8, that is .3 s past 3.5 so 23 + 3 * 1.4 = 27.2 m/s, which is pretty much the answer.
Thanks!

Hmmm, if the answer they are looking for is 27.1 m/s I think they may be expecting you to plot the points on graph paper and sketch a curve fitting them.

But if you're sketching it by hand, then you probably wouldn't know if it's exactly 27.1

Try it, I think you'll find that it is closer to 27.1 than 27.0 or 27.2.

rasen58, have you covered any other interpolation methods besides a linear fit? There are several methods of tabular interpolation that effectively take into account the shape of the curve around the point of interest by considering surrounding data points.

If you are interested you might do a bit of research on "Bessel's interpolation formula" and "LaGrange's interpolation formula". Both are fairly straightforward to apply.

gneill said:
rasen58, have you covered any other interpolation methods besides a linear fit? There are several methods of tabular interpolation that effectively take into account the shape of the curve around the point of interest by considering surrounding data points.

If you are interested you might do a bit of research on "Bessel's interpolation formula" and "LaGrange's interpolation formula". Both are fairly straightforward to apply.
Thanks I'll look into it.

Related to Interpolate value in velocity vs time table

What is interpolation?

Interpolation is a mathematical technique used to estimate data points within a set of known data points. It involves using the relationship between the known data points to calculate a value for an unknown data point.

Why is interpolation used in velocity vs time tables?

Interpolation is used in velocity vs time tables to estimate the velocity at a specific time point when the exact value is not given. This is helpful in analyzing the motion of an object and understanding its velocity at different points in time.

What are the different methods of interpolation?

There are various methods of interpolation, including linear interpolation, polynomial interpolation, and spline interpolation. Each method uses a different mathematical approach to estimate the unknown data point.

How is interpolation different from extrapolation?

Interpolation involves estimating data points within a known range of data, while extrapolation is used to estimate data points outside of the known range. Interpolation is generally considered to be more reliable than extrapolation.

Can interpolation be used for non-linear data?

Yes, interpolation can be used for non-linear data. However, the accuracy of the interpolation will depend on the method used and the distribution of the data points. In some cases, a better fit can be achieved by using a non-linear interpolation method.