Interpretation of the rating of a real transformer

In summary, the rating of a real transformer is 15 kVA with a primary voltage of 2300 V and a secondary voltage of 230 V. Both voltages are used in the equivalent circuit equation when solving for characteristics like primary and secondary current. There may be a convention that the primary voltage is listed first, but this should not affect calculations. In practice, it is unlikely that a power utility would need to step up from 230 V to 2300 V, but it is always best to carefully review specifications. Power engineering is a practical field and it is unlikely that there will be any deliberate attempts to confuse engineers.
arpansen
The rating of a real transformer is 15 kVA , 2300/230-V then can we say that the primary rms is 2300 V or can we say that the secondary rms is 230 V or both.

To clarify further, suppose to solve for certain characteristics of this transformer like primary current and secondary current i use the equivalent circuit equation of the transformer referred to the primary side as:

Vp = aVs + Req*Ip + jXeq*Ip

Then what should i use for Vp or Vs in the above equation looking at the rating of the transformer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi arpansen, welcome to the famous Physics Forums! :approve:

The primary would be 2300V and the secondary 230V. Possibly (though I'm not certain) there may be a convention that the specification follows the form primary:secondary. It would be logical to have such a convention, anyway. :wink:

In practice, I can't think of a case where a power utility would need to step up from 230 to 2300. In the event of such a rare need, I'm sure this would be clearly spelled out in the specs.

Power engineering is a very pragmatic field. You can work on the basis there's no one trying to trip you up. :smile:

Last edited:
Usually.

1. What is the rating of a real transformer?

The rating of a real transformer refers to its power capacity, measured in volt-amperes (VA) or kilovolt-amperes (kVA). This rating indicates the maximum amount of power that the transformer can handle without overheating or failing.

2. How is the rating of a real transformer determined?

The rating of a real transformer is determined by the manufacturer based on the design and construction of the transformer. It takes into account factors such as the materials used, the size of the transformer, and the intended application.

3. How does the rating affect the performance of a transformer?

The rating of a transformer is a crucial factor in its performance. If a transformer is operated at a higher power than its rating, it may overheat and fail, leading to damage or even electrical hazards. On the other hand, a transformer that is not utilized up to its full rated capacity may not be operating efficiently.

4. Can a transformer's rating be changed?

No, a transformer's rating cannot be changed. The rating is determined by the manufacturer and is based on the design and construction of the transformer. Altering the rating of a transformer can lead to safety hazards and should not be attempted.

5. How can I interpret the rating of a real transformer?

The rating of a real transformer can be interpreted by understanding its power capacity and comparing it to the power requirements of the intended application. It is important to ensure that the transformer's rating is adequate for the load it will be serving to prevent overheating and damage.