Interpretation of the Reynolds Transport Theorem?

In summary, the Reynolds Transport theorem (RTT) relates the time rate of change of an arbitrary extensive parameter of a system to the change of that property within a control volume and the amount of that property that is carried in or out across the surface of the control volume. This is useful for understanding fluid mechanics, but can create some confusion when the system is moving and has left the control volume boundaries. However, the flux in and out of the control volume is still taken into account in the RTT equation.
EternusVia
Background:
I am taking an undergraduate fluid mechanics class. I seem to have a misunderstanding with my interpretation of Reynolds Transport theorem (RTT), which I have written below:

$$\frac{DB_{sys}}{Dt} = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int_{CV}\rho bd V +\int_{CS}\rho b \vec{V}\cdot \vec{n}~A,$$

where B_sys is the extensive property B of a system, CV repesents the control volume, and CS represents the control volume surface. The value b is B/m, an intensive property.

If the fluid in question is not static, then we can consider the system to be moving. Let the control volume be static. My book says that the RTT is way of relating the time rate of change of an arbitrary extensive parameter, B, of the system (the left hand side) to the change of the property within the control volume and the amount of the property, B, that gets carried out/in across the surface of the control volume.

Here is my difficulty:
We have stated that the system is moving, because the flow is not static. So, at some point, the "system" of fluid that we initially considered will have completely left the boundaries of the control volume. How can the equation still make sense at that point? The change of the system is no longer related to the change of the control volume, because it is nowhere near the control volume.

Physics news on Phys.org
EternusVia said:
Here is my difficulty:
We have stated that the system is moving, because the flow is not static. So, at some point, the "system" of fluid that we initially considered will have completely left the boundaries of the control volume. How can the equation still make sense at that point? The change of the system is no longer related to the change of the control volume, because it is nowhere near the control volume.

I'm not entirely sure I understand your difficulty, but there would be flux in and out of the control volume (the second term of your equation). That said, let's say your system is a fixed control volume, through which a bolus of some solute passes through- surely you would be comfortable with D/Dt = 0 after that bolus has completely passed through the control volume.

But maybe I didn't understand your question...

1. What is the Reynolds Transport Theorem?

The Reynolds Transport Theorem is a fundamental concept in fluid mechanics that allows for the analysis of fluid flow in a specified control volume. It is essentially a mathematical equation that relates the change in a fluid property within a control volume to the flow of that property into and out of the volume.

2. How is the Reynolds Transport Theorem used in fluid mechanics?

The Reynolds Transport Theorem is used to analyze the behavior of a fluid within a specified control volume. It allows for the integration of properties such as mass, momentum, and energy over a defined volume, providing a more comprehensive understanding of fluid flow.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Reynolds Transport Theorem?

The Reynolds Transport Theorem assumes that the fluid is continuously distributed throughout the control volume and that the properties being analyzed are conserved. It also assumes that the control volume is fixed and does not change over time.

4. How does the Reynolds Transport Theorem relate to the conservation laws?

The Reynolds Transport Theorem is closely related to the conservation laws of mass, momentum, and energy. It allows for the application of these laws to a specific control volume, providing a more detailed analysis of fluid behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to the Reynolds Transport Theorem?

While the Reynolds Transport Theorem is a powerful tool in fluid mechanics, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the fluid is incompressible and the flow is steady, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, it does not account for turbulent flow or non-Newtonian fluids.