Interpreting a system matrix (optics)

In summary, the problem involves determining the distance at which a real image can be formed in the object plane using an optical system with a convex lens, concave lens, and mirror. The system matrix is calculated using translation, thin lens, and flat mirror matrices and is found to be [-1 8x; 0 -1]. The resulting image is found to be inverted and have a magnification factor of 1. To find the distance x, the equation 8x = 1/(2(L+d+x)) is used, resulting in x = 112.5 cm.
JulienB

Homework Statement

Hi everybody! While doing some homework for school, I realized that I still struggle to get what are the elements of an optical system matrix referring to. Here is the problem:

An optical tube with length ##L=50##cm has at one end a convex lens (##D=2##) and at the other end a concave lens (##D=-2##). A mirror is placed a distance ##x## from the concave lens (outside the tube) perpendicular to the optical axis. An object is placed at a distance ##d=100##cm from the convex lens (see attached picture).

For which distance ##x## can the real image of the object lay in the object plane? How big is the magnification? Is the image straight or inverted?

Homework Equations

I used the following convention for the matrices:

1. Translation matrix: ##\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ d & 1 \end{bmatrix}##
2. Thin lens matrix: ##\begin{bmatrix} 1 & -1/f \\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}##
3. Flat mirror matrix: ##\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}##

The Attempt at a Solution

So here is my attempt at solving the problem. First I determined the system matrix:

##\mathcal{M} = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ d & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & -1/f_1 \\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ L & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & -1/f_2 \\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ x & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ x & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & -1/f_2 \\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ L & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & -1/f_1 \\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ d & 1 \end{bmatrix}##
##= \begin{bmatrix} -1 & 8x \\ 0 & -1 \end{bmatrix}##

(I hope there is no mistake in the matrix. I've checked it many times already so it should be fine. The only doubts I have would concern the signs in the matrices when the ray comes back towards the object plane after hitting the mirror.)

Then I tried simply multiplying the matrix with an arbitrary height ##h## and angle ##phi_0## and got:

##\begin{bmatrix} \phi_f \\ h_f \end{bmatrix} = \mathcal{M} \begin{bmatrix} \phi_0 \\ h \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} -\phi_0 + 8xh \\ -h \end{bmatrix}##

I can see that the resulting height is independent of the starting angle of the ray and moreover it is equal to ##-h##. Thus my interpretation is that the magnification factor is ##1## and that the image is inverted (because of the negative sign). Is that correct?

Then I have trouble interpreting the question about ##x##. Any idea I have always ends up into having ##x=0## which seems unlikely. Did I make a mistake calculating the system matrix or am I not seeing something? As I said in the introduction I am unsure on how to interprete the matrix component ##M_{12} = 8x##. Is it the focal length of the whole system? Maybe it should be equal to something but I can't see what right now. The inverse of the total length times 2?Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions.Julien.

Attachments

• IMG_0969.jpg
    IMG_0969.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 364
Physics news on Phys.org
What about that:

##8x = \frac{1}{f_{\mathcal{M}}} = \frac{1}{2(L + d + x)}##
##\equiv x^2 + x(L+d) - \frac{1}{4} = 0##
##\implies x= \frac{(L+d)^2}{2} = \frac{9}{8} = 112.5##cm

Does that make sense?

1) What is a system matrix in optics?

A system matrix in optics is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output signals of an optical system. It is typically a square matrix that describes how light propagates through the system and is affected by various optical elements.

2) How is a system matrix interpreted?

A system matrix is interpreted by analyzing its elements, which represent the transfer functions of the optical components in the system. The matrix can be used to determine how the input signal is transformed into the output signal, taking into account factors such as reflection, refraction, and absorption.

3) What information can be obtained from a system matrix?

A system matrix can provide information about the performance of an optical system, such as its overall efficiency and the quality of the output signal. It can also be used to optimize the design of an optical system by adjusting the parameters of the matrix to achieve desired characteristics.

4) How is a system matrix calculated?

A system matrix is calculated by multiplying the individual matrices of the optical components in the system. Each matrix represents the transfer function of the component and is determined through experimental measurements or theoretical calculations. The resulting matrix represents the overall transfer function of the system.

5) What are the limitations of interpreting a system matrix?

Interpreting a system matrix is limited by the accuracy of the individual transfer functions of the optical components used in the calculation. Small errors or variations in these transfer functions can result in significant discrepancies in the overall system matrix. Additionally, the matrix may not accurately represent the behavior of the system if the input signal is outside of the range for which it was calculated.