Normalised eigenspinors and eigenvalues of the spin operator

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the normalised eigenspinors and eigenvalues of the spin operator Sy for a spin 1/2 particle. It is shown that the eigenspinors X+ and X- are orthogonal if X-†X+ = 0, which can be verified by calculating the inner product. It is also noted that the eigenfunctions of a Hermitian operator are orthogonal.
says

Homework Statement

Find the normalised eigenspinors and eigenvalues of the spin operator Sy for a spin 1⁄2 particle

If X+ and X- represent the normalised eigenspinors of the operator Sy, show that X+ and X- are orthogonal.

Homework Equations

det | Sy - λI | = 0
Sy = ## ħ/2 \begin{bmatrix}
0 & -i \\
i & 0 \\
\end{bmatrix} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

## det | ħ/2 \begin{bmatrix}
0 & -i \\
i & 0 \\
\end{bmatrix} ## - ## \begin{bmatrix}
λ & 0 \\
0 & λ \\
\end{bmatrix} | = 0 ##

skipping a few steps here but the eigenvalues = ±ħ/2

normalised eigenspinors

## ħ/2 \begin{bmatrix}
0 & -i \\
i & 0 \\
\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}
a \\
b \\
\end{bmatrix} = ± ħ/2
\begin{bmatrix}
a \\
b \\
\end{bmatrix} ##

## ħ/2 \begin{bmatrix}
0 & -i \\
i & 0 \\
1 \\
γ \\
\end{bmatrix} = ħ/2
\begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
γ \\
\end{bmatrix} ##

## \begin{bmatrix}
-iγ \\
i \\
\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
γ \\
\end{bmatrix} ##

γ = i ⇒ X+ = 1/√2 ## \begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
i \\
\end{bmatrix} ##

## ħ/2 \begin{bmatrix}
0 & -i \\
i & 0 \\
1 \\
γ \\
\end{bmatrix} = -ħ/2
\begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
γ \\
\end{bmatrix} ##

## \begin{bmatrix}
-iγ \\
i \\
\end{bmatrix} =
\begin{bmatrix}
-1 \\
-γ \\
\end{bmatrix} ##

γ = -i ⇒ X- = 1/√2 ## \begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
-i \\
\end{bmatrix} ##

Eigenvalues of the spin operator Sy = ±ħ/2

Normalised eigenspinors =
X+ = 1/√2 ## \begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
i \\
\end{bmatrix} ##

and

X- = 1/√2 ## \begin{bmatrix}
1 \\
-i \\
\end{bmatrix} ##I've got the eigenvalues and normalised eigenspinors but I'm not sure how to show the eigenspinors are orthogonal.

Physics news on Phys.org
says said:
I've got the eigenvalues and normalised eigenspinors but I'm not sure how to show the eigenspinors are orthogonal.
They are orthogonal if ##X_-^\dagger X_+ = 0## (or alternatively ##X_+^\dagger X_- = 0##).

Likes says
## X = (XT)*

where T: transpose of matrix
*: complex conjugate

Thanks for that. I calculated it and can see that it equals 0.

I also found that eigenfunctions of hermitian operators are orthogonal. So I figured if Sy is hermitian then the eigenfunctions of Sy will be orthogonal. I essentially did the same thing.

If Sy = Sy then Sy is hermitian and it's eigenfunctions / eigenspinors are orthogonal.

1. What are normalised eigenspinors and eigenvalues?

Normalised eigenspinors and eigenvalues are mathematical concepts that are used to describe the properties of quantum systems, specifically the spin of particles. The eigenspinors represent the possible orientations of a particle's spin, while the eigenvalues represent the possible values that the spin can have.

2. How are normalised eigenspinors and eigenvalues related to the spin operator?

The spin operator is a mathematical operator that acts on the eigenspinors to produce the eigenvalues. In quantum mechanics, the spin operator is represented by the Pauli spin matrices, which are used to calculate the spin values of particles.

3. Why is normalisation important for eigenspinors?

Normalisation is important because it ensures that the total probability of finding a particle in any spin state is equal to 1. This is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics, and it allows for accurate predictions of the spin properties of particles.

4. Can normalised eigenspinors and eigenvalues be used to describe other properties of particles?

Yes, normalised eigenspinors and eigenvalues can also be used to describe other properties of particles, such as their energy or momentum. However, they are most commonly used to describe the spin of particles.

5. How are normalised eigenspinors and eigenvalues experimentally verified?

Normalised eigenspinors and eigenvalues can be experimentally verified through various techniques, such as spin-resolved photoemission spectroscopy or electron spin resonance spectroscopy. These experiments involve measuring the spin properties of particles and comparing them to the predicted values from the mathematical models.