Interpreting: Consider S & T Sets - Are they Convex?

In summary: Actually the question does say "Which of the following is TRUE for all convex sets S and T?". I would suggest that you jump straight to trying to prove E... Might save you some time over looking at lots of a examples.
matrixone

Homework Statement

Screen_Shot_2017_03_11_at_5_17_08_PM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider S = {(1,1)} and T = {(0,0)}
Clearly, S and T is convex
S + T = S and S - T = S
So both of them are convex.
So answer is (E)

But i feel that the answer is too simple...and seems that i wrongly interpreted the question ...
Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
What if you choose ##T=\{(2,2)\}\,##? I assume the statement has to be true for any choice of ##S,T##. And it didn't say, that they have to be convex. More interesting is if ##S,T## are balls (or squares, which are easier to handle in this case) of different radius and centers, what can be said then? Can this be generalized to convex sets with a non-empty interior?

fresh_42 said:
What if you choose ##T=\{(2,2)\}\,##? I assume the statement has to be true for any choice of ##S,T##. And it didn't say, that they have to be convex. But even if, and even if ##S,T## were balls (or squares, which are easier to handle in this case) of different radius and centers, what can be said then?

In the last line of the question, "Which of these is TRUE FOR ALL CONVEX SETS S & T? "

And, even if for only one choice of vertices, S & T both are convex, other options can be eliminated. Right ?

matrixone said:
In the last line of the question, "Which of these is TRUE FOR ALL CONVEX SETS S & T? "
Sorry, overlooked. NO NEED TO USE CAPS.
And, even if for only one choice of vertices, S & T both are convex, other options can be eliminated. Right ?
An example isn't a proof. If you eliminate choices, you have to prove that it can be done without restricting the general case.

fresh_42 said:
What if you choose ##T=\{(2,2)\}\,##? I assume the statement has to be true for any choice of ##S,T##. And it didn't say, that they have to be convex. More interesting is if ##S,T## are balls (or squares, which are easier to handle in this case) of different radius and centers, what can be said then? Can this be generalized to convex sets with a non-empty interior?

Actually the question does say "Which of the following is TRUE for all convex sets S and T?". I would suggest that you jump straight to trying to prove E... Might save you some time over looking at lots of a examples.

1. What is the definition of "convex" in relation to S & T sets?

In mathematics, a set is considered convex if for any two points within the set, the line segment connecting them is also within the set.

2. What is the importance of convexity in interpreting S & T sets?

Convexity is important in interpreting S & T sets because it allows for easier analysis and prediction of the behavior of the sets. It also allows for the use of convex optimization techniques, which are efficient and reliable in solving problems related to these sets.

3. How can one determine if a given S & T set is convex?

A given S & T set can be determined to be convex by visually examining the set and checking if all the line segments connecting any two points within the set are also within the set. Alternatively, one can use mathematical formulas and equations to prove the convexity of a set.

4. What are some real-life examples of S & T sets that exhibit convexity?

Some real-life examples of S & T sets that exhibit convexity include the set of all possible investment portfolios, where the convexity of the set allows for efficient portfolio optimization. Another example is the set of all possible traffic routes, where the convexity of the set allows for efficient route planning and navigation.

5. Can non-convex S & T sets still be interpreted and analyzed?

Yes, non-convex S & T sets can still be interpreted and analyzed, but the techniques and methods used may be more complex and less efficient. In some cases, non-convex sets may also have multiple optimal solutions, making it more challenging to analyze and interpret them.

Related to Interpreting: Consider S & T Sets - Are they Convex?