Interpreting Statistical Questions: Ice Hockey Player Diff.

In summary: Relevant Equations:: In ice hockey, when a player is sent off the field, the opposing team has four skaters on the ice.
Pouyan
Homework Statement
In ice hockey, you have five outfielders on the field. How many percent more outfielders does the opposing team have if you get a player sent off?
Relevant Equations
I interpret it this way: we have two groups, team A and team B. Both have 5 players, team A loses a 1. How many percent more do B players have than A?
The solution in my book:
5/4 = 1.25. That is 25 % more.

What I came up with:
I thought that now we have totally 9 players. So A: 4/9 and B: 5/9. The difference is 1/9 which is about 11%!

A friend told me :

The difference between B & A is 5-4=1
The changing rate is (5-4)/5 = 0.2 !
So B has 20 % more than A.

Now it's confusing. How should I interpret such a statistical question ?! I get three different answers:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Pouyan said:
Homework Statement:: In ice hockey, you have five outfielders on the field. How many percent more outfielders does the opposing team have if you get a player sent off?
Relevant Equations:: I interpret it this way: we have two groups, team A and team B. Both have 5 players, team A loses a 1. How many percent more do B players have than A?

The solution in my book:
5/4 = 1.25. That is 25 % more.
That's what 25% more means. ##5## is 25% more than ##4##.
Pouyan said:
What I came up with:
I thought that now we have totally 9 players. So A: 4/9 and B: 5/9. The difference is 1/9 which is about 11%!
I've never seen anything like this. 11% more equates to a factor of 1.11.
Pouyan said:
A friend told me :

The difference between B & A is 5-4=1
The changing rate is (5-4)/5 = 0.2 !
So B has 20 % more than A.

Now it's confusing. How should I interpret such a statistical question ?! I get three different answers:confused:
A has 20% less than B. With percentages you need to know what your reference value is.

When you say B has x% more than A, then A is your reference value and B = A + x% of A.

When you say A has y% less than B, then B is your reference value and A = B - y% of B.

That's the convention for pay rises, interest rates etc.

Likes Pouyan
PS note the following interesting point:

If you earn $20 per hour and get a 50% pay rise, then you earn $30 per hour. If you then get a 33.3% pay cut, then you are back to $20 per hour. I.e. a 50% pay rise, followed by a 33.3% pay cut cancel each other out. If you got a 50% pay rise followed by a 50% cut, you'd be down to $15 per hour.

Likewise, a 50% pay cut takes you to $10 per hour and you would need a 100% pay rise to get back to $20 per hour.

Likes Pouyan
PeroK said:
That's what 25% more means. ##5## is 25% more than ##4##.

I've never seen anything like this. 11% more equates to a factor of 1.11.

A has 20% less than B. With percentages you need to know what your reference value is.

When you say B has x% more than A, then A is your reference value and B = A + x% of A.

When you say A has y% less than B, then B is your reference value and A = B - y% of B.

That's the convention for pay rises, interest rates etc.
Thank you for the help! Now I understand that we have to take care of details.

But I don't still get it...

Why can't we say:

We have 9 players, 4 for A and 5 for B, in percent:

B = 5/9 = 56 %
A = 4/9 = 44%

Why can't we say B has about 11% more than A?

Pouyan said:
Thank you for the help! Now I understand that we have to take care of details.

But I don't still get it...

Why can't we say:

We have 9 players, 4 for A and 5 for B, in percent:

B = 5/9 = 56 %
A = 4/9 = 44%

Why can't we say B has about 11% more than A?
That's a different calculation and it's not what is meant when we say 11% more. Everything in mathematics needs a clear definition so there is no argument. In that case B has 25% more than A, by definition of what 25% more means.

You could say that B has 11% more of the total than A. Then the total number of players is the reference. That's a different calculation.

To take an example of where your calculation would be inappropriate. Suppose you work for a company whose total salary bill for the year is $10 million. You earn $50,000 dollars a year and your friend earns $100,000 dollars per year. Everybody would say that your friend earns 100% more than you (i.e. double what you earn). But:

$100,000 is only 1% of the total salary bill, and $50,000 is only 0.5% of the total salary bill. It's not correct to say that your friend earns only 0.5% more than you.

Instead you can say that your friend's extra earnings represent only 0.5% of the total salary bill. That would be the accurate description of such a calculation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Pouyan
Pouyan said:
Homework Statement:: In ice hockey, you have five outfielders on the field.
You have five skaters on the ice. :smile:

1. What is the purpose of interpreting statistical questions in ice hockey?

The purpose of interpreting statistical questions in ice hockey is to gain a better understanding of the performance and abilities of individual players and teams. This information can be used to make informed decisions about strategy, player recruitment, and overall team management.

2. How are statistical questions in ice hockey typically presented?

Statistical questions in ice hockey are typically presented in the form of data tables, graphs, or charts. These visual representations allow for easier analysis and comparison of data.

3. What types of statistics are commonly used in ice hockey?

Some common statistics used in ice hockey include goals, assists, plus-minus rating, faceoff percentage, and save percentage. These statistics can help measure a player's offensive and defensive contributions, as well as their overall performance on the ice.

4. How can interpreting statistical questions in ice hockey be beneficial for coaches?

Interpreting statistical questions in ice hockey can be beneficial for coaches as it allows them to identify strengths and weaknesses in their team and individual players. This information can then be used to make adjustments in strategy and player development to improve overall performance.

5. What are some potential limitations of interpreting statistical questions in ice hockey?

One potential limitation of interpreting statistical questions in ice hockey is that it only provides a quantitative analysis of a player's performance and does not take into account other factors such as team dynamics, player chemistry, and intangible qualities. Additionally, statistics can be influenced by external factors such as injuries or playing against stronger or weaker opponents.