Intersecting circles using Newton's Method

In summary, the conversation discusses trying to solve a problem involving two equations by setting them equal to each other, but realizing that this does not make sense. The person seeking help has not yet chosen an initial condition and is looking for guidance on how to proceed.
Robb

Homework Statement

upload_2017-11-8_20-33-41.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial thought was to set the two equations equal to each other but the resulting equation is linear which gives a constant for a Newton iteration. I thought about Taylor's theorem in 2-d but I'm not so sure about that as far as deriving the iterating function. Please help!

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-8_20-33-41.png
    upload_2017-11-8_20-33-41.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 943
Physics news on Phys.org
Robb said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 214649

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial thought was to set the two equations equal to each other but the resulting equation is linear which gives a constant for a Newton iteration. I thought about Taylor's theorem in 2-d but I'm not so sure about that as far as deriving the iterating function. Please help!
Technically, you don't "set equations equal to each other." If you have one equation in the form f(x) = b and another equation in the form g(x) = b, then you can set f(x) equal to g(x). However, it makes no sense to write ##(x - 2)^2 + (y - 1)^2 = 2 = 3.5 = (x - 2.5)^2 + y^2##.

For the equations in your problem, what you said amounts to setting 2 = 3.5, which is obviouly untrue.

What was the work that you did? You need to show us what you did, rather than just loosely describe your work, so that we can steer you in the right direction.

upload_2017-11-9_6-16-48.png

I have not chosen an initial condition yet so I can get F(X).

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-9_6-16-48.png
    upload_2017-11-9_6-16-48.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 486

What is Newton's Method and how does it apply to intersecting circles?

Newton's Method is a mathematical algorithm used to find the roots of a function. In the context of intersecting circles, it can be used to find the coordinates of the points where the circles intersect by solving a system of equations.

What are the steps involved in using Newton's Method to find the intersecting points of circles?

The first step is to set up a system of equations representing the circles. Then, using the initial guesses for the coordinates of the intersecting points, the algorithm iteratively improves the guesses until a solution is found. This is done using the tangent line approximation and the Newton-Raphson formula.

What are the advantages of using Newton's Method for finding intersecting circles?

Newton's Method is a very efficient and accurate algorithm for finding roots of a function. It can handle complex equations and can find multiple solutions if they exist. It also converges quickly, meaning it can find the intersecting points of circles in a relatively small number of iterations.

What are the limitations of using Newton's Method for finding intersecting circles?

One limitation is that the algorithm may fail to converge if the initial guesses are too far from the actual solution. It also requires the equations to be differentiable, which may not always be the case for all types of circles. In addition, it can be computationally expensive for large systems of equations.

Are there any alternative methods for finding intersecting circles besides Newton's Method?

Yes, there are other numerical methods such as the Bisection Method and the Secant Method that can also be used to find the intersecting points of circles. These methods may have different advantages and limitations, so the choice of method would depend on the specific problem at hand.