Intersection of line with ellipse - given difference of eccentric angles

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the condition for a line to intersect an ellipse in points with eccentric angles differing by $\pi/4$. One approach is to dilate the $y$-axis and transform the ellipse into a circle, making the problem simpler. Another approach involves using a formula for the point of intersection of tangents to the ellipse at given eccentric angles. Both methods lead to the same condition for the line, which involves the coefficients $p$, $q$, and $r$, with the additional freedom to pick $a^2p^2 + b^2q^2 = 1$ without losing any lines.
Saitama
Problem:

Find the condition so that the line px+qy=r intersects the ellipse $\displaystyle \frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1$ in points whose eccentric angles differ by $\frac{\pi}{4}$.

Attempt:

Let the points on ellipse be $(a\cos\theta,b\sin\theta)$ and $(a\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{4}+\theta\right),b \sin\left(\frac{\pi}{4}+\theta\right))$. The slope of line passing through these points is:

$$\frac{b\sin\left( \frac{\pi}{4}+ \theta \right)-b\sin\theta}{a\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{4}+\theta\right)-a\cos\theta}=-\frac{b}{a}\cot\left(\frac{\pi}{8}+\theta\right)$$

The line passing through these two points is:

$$y-b\sin\theta=-\frac{b}{a}\cot\left(\frac{\pi}{8}+\theta\right)(x-a\cos\theta)$$
Next step involves rearranging the equation and comparing the coefficients with that of px+qy=r but trying that leads to some dirty equations and I am inclined to think that there exists a lot better way to solve the given problem. Can anyone give me a few hints about how to proceed?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thanks to whoever tried this problem, the problem has been solved. I missed a very obvious way for this problem.

Pranav said:
Thanks to whoever tried this problem, the problem has been solved. I missed a very obvious way for this problem.
I wonder what the "very obvious way" is? My method would be to dilate the $y$-axis by a factor $a/b$. Then the ellipse becomes the circle $x^2+y^2 = a^2$ and the line becomes $apx + bqy - ar = 0.$ Angles around the circle are (by definition) the same as eccentric angles for the ellipse. So we want the line to cut the circle at two points whose angles differ by $\pi/4$. The condition for that is that the distance from the line to the origin is $a\cos(\pi/8)$, or $$\frac{|ar|}{\sqrt{a^2p^2 + b^2q^2}} = a\cos(\pi/8).$$ So the condition on $p$, $q$ and $r$ is $|r| = \sqrt{a^2p^2 + b^2q^2}\cos(\pi/8).$

Hi Opalg! :)

Opalg said:
I wonder what the "very obvious way" is? My method would be to dilate the $y$-axis by a factor $a/b$. Then the ellipse becomes the circle $x^2+y^2 = a^2$ and the line becomes $apx + bqy - ar = 0.$ Angles around the circle are (by definition) the same as eccentric angles for the ellipse. So we want the line to cut the circle at two points whose angles differ by $\pi/4$. The condition for that is that the distance from the line to the origin is $a\cos(\pi/8)$, or $$\frac{|ar|}{\sqrt{a^2p^2 + b^2q^2}} = a\cos(\pi/8).$$ So the condition on $p$, $q$ and $r$ is $|r| = \sqrt{a^2p^2 + b^2q^2}\cos(\pi/8).$

Wow, that looks way shorter than my method but I haven't ever seen the dilation of axis, I am interested in learning more about it, can you please share a relevant link? Thanks.

As for my method, I need to use a result that the point of intersection of tangents to ellipse at eccentric angles $\phi$ and $\phi'$ is given by

$$x=a\cfrac{\cos\left(\frac{\phi+\phi'}{2}\right)}{\cos\left(\frac{\phi-\phi'}{2}\right)}, y=b\cfrac{\sin\left(\frac{\phi+\phi'}{2}\right)}{ \cos \left(\frac{\phi-\phi'}{2}\right)}$$

The chord of contact for this intersection point is same as px+qy=r, from here I can compare the coefficients to obtain the answer.

Agreed that the result for intersection is not a nice one but in my course, I am required to memorise it.

Last edited:
Opalg said:

Additionally, we have the freedom to pick $a^2p^2 + b^2q^2=1$, without losing any lines.
Furthermore, we can leave out the absolute value function.

That is, $(ap, bq)$ is the vector to the (dilated) unit circle that is perpendicular to the line.
And $r$ is the distance of the (dilated) line to the origin.

If we do that, the condition under $p$, $q$, and $r$ becomes:
\begin{cases}
a^2p^2 + b^2q^2=1 \\
r = \cos(\pi / 8)
\end{cases}

Hi Pranav,
You asked about dilation along an axis. I've found the following to be very useful.

View attachment 1794

Attachments

• MHBgeometry6.PNG
    MHBgeometry6.PNG
    14.9 KB · Views: 53
Hi johng! :)

Thank you for taking the time to explain the dilation of axis but I fear I cannot understand that as I am not well versed with the notation you have used. I will see if I can find something on the internet or books. Thank you once again.

Related to Intersection of line with ellipse - given difference of eccentric angles

1. What is the intersection of a line with an ellipse?

The intersection of a line with an ellipse is the point or points where the line and the ellipse intersect. This point or points can be calculated by solving the equations of the line and the ellipse together.

2. How is the difference of eccentric angles used to find the intersection of a line with an ellipse?

The difference of eccentric angles is used in a special case where the line is tangent to the ellipse at one of its points of intersection. In this case, the difference of eccentric angles can be used to determine the coordinates of the tangent point, which is also the point of intersection.

3. What is the significance of the eccentric angles in this problem?

The eccentric angles represent the angular position of a point on the ellipse with respect to its center. By using the difference of eccentric angles, we can determine the specific point or points where the line intersects the ellipse, which can be useful in various applications.

4. Can there be more than one intersection point between a line and an ellipse?

Yes, there can be more than one intersection point between a line and an ellipse. The number of intersection points depends on the position of the line and the shape and orientation of the ellipse. It is also possible for the line to not intersect the ellipse at all.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the intersection of a line with an ellipse?

Finding the intersection of a line with an ellipse has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. For example, it can be used to determine the trajectory of a projectile or the orbit of a planet around the sun. It is also used in computer graphics to create realistic shapes and animations.