Intersections of Subspaces and Addition of Subspaces

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving a set of vectors in a vector space V. The proof involves creating a new set Q' by adding a vector B1 to the original set S, and continuing this process until a set T is obtained such that T ∩ S = {0} and S + T = V. The proof also addresses the finite nature of V and suggests some improvements for clarity.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/3849/screenshot20120122at124.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]S = \left\{ S_1,...,S_n \right\} [/itex]. If [itex]L(S) = V[/itex], then [itex]T = \left\{ 0 \right\}[/itex] and we are done because [itex]S + T = V[/itex]. Suppose that [itex]L(S) ≠ V[/itex]. Let [itex]B_1 \in T[/itex] such that [itex]B_1 \notin L(S)[/itex]. Then the set [itex]Q =\left\{ S_1,...,S_n,B_1 \right\}[/itex] is linearly independent. If [itex]L(Q) = V[/itex] then we are done since [itex]S + T = V[/itex] and [itex] S \cap T[/itex] [itex]= \left\{ 0 \right\} [/itex]. If not, then we may repeat the preceding argument beginning with the set Q. Thus, we would create a new set, call it Q', where [itex]Q' = \left\{ S_1,...,S_n,B_1,B_2 \right\}[/itex] and [itex]B_1,B_2 \notin S[/itex]. Then, if [itex]L(Q') = V[/itex], then we are done. If not, then we continue as above. This process must certainly end because V is itself stated to be finite. Thus, such a T as in the problem must exist.

I think I'm going in the right direction, but I'm not sure if I'm executing the proof correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

Your proof seems to be on the right track. However, I think you may have some typos in your notation. Here are some suggestions for improving your proof:

1. Define S = {S1, ..., Sn} to be a set of vectors in a vector space V.

2. Since L(S) ≠ V, there exists a vector B1 ∈ V such that B1 ∉ L(S).

3. Consider the set Q = {S1, ..., Sn, B1}. Since B1 ∉ L(S), Q is linearly independent.

4. If L(Q) = V, then we are done since S + T = V and S ∩ T = {0}.

5. If L(Q) ≠ V, then there exists a vector B2 ∈ V such that B2 ∉ L(Q).

6. Consider the set Q' = {S1, ..., Sn, B1, B2}. Since B1, B2 ∉ L(Q), Q' is linearly independent.

7. If L(Q') = V, then we are done.

8. If L(Q') ≠ V, then we can continue this process, adding new vectors B3, B4, etc. until we have a set Q' = {S1, ..., Sn, B1, ..., Bk} such that L(Q') = V.

9. Since V is finite, this process must eventually end, and we will have a set T = {B1, ..., Bk} such that T ∩ S = {0} and S + T = V.

Overall, your proof seems to be on the right track, but you may want to clarify your notation and make sure to explicitly state each step in the proof. I hope this helps!

Related to Intersections of Subspaces and Addition of Subspaces

What is the definition of an intersection of subspaces?

The intersection of two subspaces is the set of all elements that are common to both subspaces.

How is the intersection of subspaces related to linear independence?

If the intersection of two subspaces is nonempty, then the two subspaces are linearly dependent.

What is the significance of the intersection of subspaces in linear algebra?

The intersection of subspaces can provide insight into the relationships between different subspaces and can help determine certain properties of the subspaces, such as linear independence or span.

How is the addition of subspaces defined and what is its purpose?

The addition of subspaces is defined as the set of all possible combinations of elements from two subspaces. Its purpose is to create a new subspace that contains all the elements from both original subspaces.

Can the addition of subspaces result in a subspace that is not a subset of the original subspaces?

Yes, the addition of subspaces can result in a subspace that is not a subset of the original subspaces if the subspaces are not orthogonal to each other.