Into what is our universe expanding ?

In summary, the current understanding of the expansion of the universe is that it is happening at an accelerating rate, first discovered in the late 1990s through observations of distant supernovae and confirmed by other cosmological observations. The cause of this expansion is believed to be dark energy, a mysterious force that makes up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. The expansion is not uniform, but rather accelerating due to the influence of dark energy. It is predicted that the expansion will continue forever, as dark energy is thought to be a constant force. This expansion is also affecting the objects within the universe, causing them to move farther apart from each other as the universe expands. This effect is more pronounced for objects that are farther
Salman Ranjha
Well I'm just a high school student but I'm very passionate about Astronomy.
I usually ask myself that into WHAT is our Universe is expanding if the expanison theory is true !
I'll be waiting for responses..

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It is not expanding "into" anything. Google "metric expansion" for more discussion.

1. What is the current understanding of the expansion of the universe?

The current understanding is that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate. This was first discovered in the late 1990s through observations of distant supernovae and has since been confirmed by other cosmological observations.

2. What is the cause of the expansion of the universe?

The cause of the expansion of the universe is believed to be dark energy, a mysterious force that makes up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

3. Is the expansion of the universe uniform?

No, the expansion of the universe is not uniform. It is actually accelerating, meaning that the expansion is happening at a faster rate in more distant regions of space. This is due to the influence of dark energy.

4. Will the expansion of the universe continue forever?

Based on our current understanding, it is believed that the expansion of the universe will continue forever. This is because dark energy is thought to be a constant force, causing the universe to expand at an ever-increasing rate.

5. Is the expansion of the universe affecting the objects within it?

Yes, the expansion of the universe is affecting the objects within it. As the universe expands, the distance between objects also increases, causing them to move further apart from each other. This effect is more pronounced for objects that are farther away from us.