Intr rocket science: How calculate mass ratio and propellant

In summary, the initial mass of the first stage is mf*e(delta-v/C)+mstage1structure+mpayload. The final mass of the rocket is the result of stage 2 structure mass + payload mass (because the fuel is totally exhausted at that point) so, the initial massof stage 2 will be mf*e(delta-v/C)...Then, the final mass of stage 1 will be the initial mass of stage 2 + stage 1 structure mass. And the initial mass of stage 1 will be mf*e(delta-v/C)...So, mass ratio will be initial mass of stage 1/final mass of stage 2.And mass of propellant will
Dianainthesky

Homework Statement

[/B]
I was wondering if you'd be able to help me with this problem: Given a two-stage launch vehicle with an engine that produces an Isp =400 sec, a payload mass of 10.000 kg, stage 1 structure mass of 10.000 kg, stage 2 structure mass of 10.000 kg, determine the mass ratio and the total mass of propellant required to reach LEO. Asume the total delta-v required is 7.700 m/sec. Determine the detal-v after each stage and the propellant mass for each stage.

Homework Equations

Isp=(i/deltampropellant*g)=C/g

Delta-v=Cln(M0/Mf)

Delta-v=Cln(MR); MR=Mass Ratio

M0=Mf*e(delta-v/C)

Mtotal=Mstructure+Mpropellant+Mpayloand

For a two-staged rocket:

Mtotal=Mstage1structure+Mstage1propellant+Mstage2structure+Mstage2propellant+Mpayloand

Delta-vtotal=g*Isp*ln(M0/Mf)

The mass ratio for stage 1 is:

MR1=Mtotal/(Mtotal-Mpropellant1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying to solve this problem with a Mf=10.000 kg +10.000 kg=20.000 kg, C=9.8m/s2 and a delta-v=7.700m/seg, then a find M0 replacing the equation, but I realized that this M0 is probablye the Mf of the stage 1...That two-stage rocket confuses me.
As you can see I'm lost. I don't need you to solve the problem for me, just give me guidelines to resolve and so I can leave my confusion.
I thank you for your attention and time spent.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dianainthesky said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
I was wondering if you'd be able to help me with this problem: Given a two-stage launch vehicle with an engine that produces an Isp =400 sec, a payload mass of 10.000 kg, stage 1 structure mass of 10.000 kg, stage 2 structure mass of 10.000 kg, determine the mass ratio and the total mass of propellant required to reach LEO. Asume the total delta-v required is 7.700 m/sec. Determine the detal-v after each stage and the propellant mass for each stage.

Homework Equations

Isp=(i/deltampropellant*g)=C/g

Delta-v=Cln(M0/Mf)

Delta-v=Cln(MR); MR=Mass Ratio

M0=Mf*e(delta-v/C)

Mtotal=Mstructure+Mpropellant+Mpayloand

For a two-staged rocket:

Mtotal=Mstage1structure+Mstage1propellant+Mstage2structure+Mstage2propellant+Mpayloand

Delta-vtotal=g*Isp*ln(M0/Mf)

The mass ratio for stage 1 is:

MR1=Mtotal/(Mtotal-Mpropellant1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying to solve this problem with a Mf=10.000 kg +10.000 kg=20.000 kg, C=9.8m/s2 and a delta-v=7.700m/seg, then a find M0 replacing the equation, but a
I realized that this M0 is probablye the Mf of the stage 1...That two-stage rocket confuses me.
As you can see I'm lost. I don't need you to solve the problem for me, just give me guidelines to resolve and so I can leave my confusion.
I thank you for your attention and time spent.
Your rocket mass at lift-off must include:
1.) the payload mass
2.) the structure mass of the two stages
3.) the mass of fuel in each stage

At some point, the fuel from the first stage is exhausted, and this stage is then jettisoned, leaving the second stage (w/fuel) + the payload to reach orbit before running out of fuel.

There is a section at the bottom of this article which discusses how to use the rocket equation to analyze multistage rockets:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsiolkovsky_rocket_equation

Thank you for your answer...

Could you tell me if this is correct?:

The final mass of the rocket is the result of stage 2 structure mass + payload mass (because the fuel is totally exhausted at that point) so, the initial massof stage 2 will be mf*e(delta-v/C)...Then, the final mass of stage 1 will be the initial mass of stage 2 + stage 1 structure mass. And the initial mass of stage 1 will be mf*e(delta-v/C)...

So, mass ratio will be initial mass of stage 1/final mass of stage 2.

And mass of propellant will be initial mass of stage 1-final mass of stage 2.

Hope I made my point.

Related to Intr rocket science: How calculate mass ratio and propellant

1. What is the mass ratio in rocket science?

The mass ratio in rocket science is the ratio of the initial mass of the rocket to the final mass of the rocket after all of its propellant has been burned. It is typically denoted as R and is an important parameter in rocket design, as it affects the overall performance and efficiency of the rocket.

2. How is the mass ratio calculated?

The mass ratio is calculated by dividing the initial mass of the rocket (including propellant) by the final mass of the rocket (excluding propellant). This can also be expressed as the ratio of the total mass of the rocket before launch to the dry mass of the rocket (without propellant). The higher the mass ratio, the more efficient the rocket is at converting its initial mass into thrust.

3. What is propellant in rocket science?

Propellant is the substance that is carried on board a rocket to provide thrust and propel it into space. It typically consists of a fuel and an oxidizer that are mixed and ignited to produce a controlled explosion, which creates thrust and propels the rocket forward.

4. How does propellant affect the mass ratio?

The amount of propellant carried on board a rocket directly affects the mass ratio. The more propellant a rocket carries, the higher the initial mass will be, resulting in a lower mass ratio. This means that a larger proportion of the rocket's initial mass is being used to carry the propellant, rather than achieving the desired thrust.

5. Why is calculating the mass ratio important in rocket science?

The mass ratio is an important parameter in rocket science because it directly affects the performance and efficiency of a rocket. A higher mass ratio means that a greater proportion of the initial mass is being used for thrust, resulting in a more efficient and powerful rocket. It is also a key factor in determining the payload capacity and range of a rocket.