Intrinsic critical speed of a steel circular shaft

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the intrinsic first critical speed of a circular steel shaft supported by two bearings. The person asking the question is confused about the process and mentions the Rayleigh Method and Dunkerley's equation. They also mention that there are three different regions in the shaft and ask if they need to calculate for each of them. The expert suggests analyzing the shaft statically to determine its deflection between the bearings and using the density of steel to figure out the mass of the shaft.
Mechatroni

Homework Statement

Determine the intrinsic first critical speed of a circular steel shaft supported by two bearings
E=207GPa

How can i determine it I'm very confused about this question , you can see the question at the attachment. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• Ekran Resmi 2013-12-24 20.38.43.png
    Ekran Resmi 2013-12-24 20.38.43.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 723
Physics news on Phys.org
Specifically, what are you confused about? Do you understand how to calculate the critical speed of a shaft? Have you been exposed to the Rayleigh Method? Dunkerley's equation?

i'm not so good at this lecture. The part I'm confused is there is 3 different regions in the shaft so do i have to calculate for each of them and take the lowest one? i know the Rayleigh Method and the Dunkerley's Equation but i need to use m ( mass ) in those equations , the problem is only E is given to me. Where do i have to start to solve this

The OP says it is a steel shaft, so you can look up the density of steel and figure the mass of the shaft.

I think your first order of business is to analyze the shaft statically and determine its deflection between the bearings.

I would approach this question by first understanding the concept of critical speed and its significance in structural engineering. Critical speed is the rotational speed at which a structure experiences resonance, leading to excessive vibration and potential failure. In the case of a circular steel shaft, it is important to determine the intrinsic first critical speed to ensure the structural integrity and safe operation of the shaft.

To determine the intrinsic first critical speed of the steel circular shaft, several factors need to be taken into consideration. These include the material properties of the steel, the geometry of the shaft, and the boundary conditions of the shaft (i.e. supported by two bearings).

The material property of the steel, represented by the elastic modulus E, is given as 207 GPa in the homework statement. This is a crucial factor in calculating the intrinsic first critical speed as it determines the stiffness of the shaft.

The geometry of the shaft, specifically its diameter and length, also plays a significant role in determining the critical speed. The larger the diameter and length of the shaft, the lower the critical speed will be.

Lastly, the boundary conditions of the shaft, in this case, being supported by two bearings, will affect the critical speed. The type and placement of the bearings will determine the support and stability of the shaft.

To determine the intrinsic first critical speed, a mathematical model, such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam equation, can be used. This equation takes into account the material properties, geometry, and boundary conditions of the shaft to calculate the critical speed.

In summary, to determine the intrinsic first critical speed of a circular steel shaft, a thorough understanding of the concept of critical speed and its influencing factors is required. A mathematical model can then be used to calculate the critical speed, ensuring the safe operation of the shaft.

Related to Intrinsic critical speed of a steel circular shaft

What is the intrinsic critical speed of a steel circular shaft?

The intrinsic critical speed of a steel circular shaft refers to the rotational speed at which the shaft starts to experience excessive vibration and can potentially fail. It is an important factor to consider in the design and operation of rotating machinery.

How is the intrinsic critical speed of a steel circular shaft calculated?

The intrinsic critical speed of a steel circular shaft is calculated using the formula: ncr = (C*E*I/(ρ*L^3))^(1/2), where ncr is the critical speed, C is a constant, E is the modulus of elasticity, I is the second moment of area, ρ is the density, and L is the length of the shaft.

What factors can affect the intrinsic critical speed of a steel circular shaft?

The intrinsic critical speed of a steel circular shaft can be affected by various factors such as the material properties of the shaft, its length, the type of supports and bearings used, and the operating environment. Changes in any of these factors can alter the critical speed and potentially lead to failure.

Why is it important to know the intrinsic critical speed of a steel circular shaft?

Knowing the intrinsic critical speed of a steel circular shaft is important because it helps in determining the safe operating speed of the shaft. Exceeding the critical speed can result in severe vibrations, which can compromise the structural integrity of the shaft and cause equipment failure.

How can the intrinsic critical speed of a steel circular shaft be controlled or avoided?

The intrinsic critical speed of a steel circular shaft can be controlled or avoided by making design changes to the shaft, such as increasing its diameter or changing the material. Proper maintenance and regular inspections can also help in identifying potential issues and avoiding failure due to critical speed.