Mechanics of materials-homework

In summary, the thrust bearing can withstand a maximum axial force of P, so long as the shear stress on the cylindrical surface it is attached to does not exceed 170 MPa.
Hellohi

Homework Statement

1–80. The thrust bearing consists of a circular collar A fixed to the shaft B.Determine the maximum axial force P that can be applied to the shaft so that it does not cause the shear stress along a cylindrical surface a or b to exceed an allowable shear stress of 170 MPa.

upload_2016-2-6_10-10-50.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

T=V/A or T = P/A[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is how I thought I would draw my FBD

upload_2016-2-6_10-10-28.png

therefore I thought that if I did the summation of all forces in the x direction, P = Va+Vb
However, the solution takes it individually, like this:

T = P/A for a and T = P/A for b and calculates each P. This is confusnig me because, shouldn't the two V (shear forces) equal to the Maximum axial force?

thanks for any help, Id really like to understand this.

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-6_10-4-29.png
    upload_2016-2-6_10-4-29.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,142
  • upload_2016-2-6_10-4-38.png
    upload_2016-2-6_10-4-38.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 894
  • upload_2016-2-6_10-5-29.png
    upload_2016-2-6_10-5-29.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 792
  • upload_2016-2-6_10-9-40.png
    upload_2016-2-6_10-9-40.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 801
  • upload_2016-2-6_10-10-3.png
    upload_2016-2-6_10-10-3.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 724
Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to mention that for my FBD I did two cuts just so I can have a and b in there but I believed that we didnt need the rest.

I don't want any answers I just need some help with this, thank you!

Hellohi said:

Homework Statement

1–80. The thrust bearing consists of a circular collar A fixed to the shaft B.Determine the maximum axial force P that can be applied to the shaft so that it does not cause the shear stress along a cylindrical surface a or b to exceed an allowable shear stress of 170 MPa.

View attachment 95393[/B]

Homework Equations

T=V/A or T = P/A[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is how I thought I would draw my FBD

View attachment 95392

therefore I thought that if I did the summation of all forces in the x direction, P = Va+Vb
However, the solution takes it individually, like this:

T = P/A for a and T = P/A for b and calculates each P. This is confusnig me because, shouldn't the two V (shear forces) equal to the Maximum axial force?

thanks for any help, Id really like to understand this.

If you draw a free body diagram of the shaft and the collar attached to it, how many forces will this diagram show? Which is the applied force and which is the reaction?

Do you mean just of the shaft and collar excluding the a and b surfaces?

Hellohi said:
Do you mean just of the shaft and collar excluding the a and b surfaces?
The collar is rigidly attached to the shaft, so you can't exclude it.

You have a thrust P applied to one end of the shaft. What keeps the shaft from accelerating in the direction opposite of P?

Oh! It should be the normal force correct?

the normal force that A exerts

Hellohi said:
the normal force that A exerts
Correct.

The shear area for the collar and the shear area for the thrust bearing are two different values. One of these surface areas will limit how large P can be, subject to the shear stress limit.

Thank you!

1. What is the purpose of studying mechanics of materials in engineering?

The purpose of studying mechanics of materials is to understand how materials behave under different types of external forces and loads. This knowledge is crucial for engineers to design and analyze structures and machines that can withstand these forces and perform their intended functions safely and efficiently.

2. What are the main topics covered in mechanics of materials homework?

The main topics covered in mechanics of materials homework include stress and strain analysis, axial and torsional loading, bending and shear stresses, deflection of beams, and failure criteria of different materials. Other topics may include pressure vessels, columns, and combined loading scenarios.

3. Why is it important to consider material properties in mechanics of materials homework?

Material properties, such as elasticity, strength, and ductility, play a significant role in determining how a material will respond to external loads. These properties are essential to consider in mechanics of materials homework because they directly affect the stress and strain analysis and ultimately determine the structural integrity and performance of a design.

4. What are some common challenges in mechanics of materials homework?

Some common challenges in mechanics of materials homework include understanding and applying complex equations, visualizing and interpreting stress and strain diagrams, and solving problems involving non-uniform loading or complicated material properties. It is essential to have a strong grasp of fundamental concepts and problem-solving skills to overcome these challenges.

5. How can I improve my understanding of mechanics of materials for homework assignments?

To improve your understanding of mechanics of materials, you can practice solving a variety of problems, both theoretical and practical. It is also helpful to review and understand the underlying concepts and theories behind the equations and calculations. Additionally, seeking help from instructors, tutors, or classmates can also aid in improving your understanding and performance in mechanics of materials homework.