[Intro QM] Verification requested on possible solution for a question

In summary, the individual is seeking guidance on their solution for a problem involving the Fourier transform. They have posted images of their solution and are asking for verification and guidance on any errors they may have made. After receiving help, the individual's solution is deemed correct. They express their gratitude for the help provided.
warhammer
Homework Statement
Q1 (i) Given φ(k) = \frac{A/Δk} where (k0 − 0.5Δk)< k < (k0 +0.5Δk) & φ(k) is 0 elsewhere. A, k0 and Δk are constants.
Show that ψ(x) = A * \frac{sinb/b} *exp(ik0x) where b =0.5Δkx. Also find ψ(0).

(ii) A particle freely moves in an one dimensional box of length L. The probability of finding the particle between x and x + dx inside the box is P(x)dx = Cdx, 0 ≤ x ≤ L where C is a constant. It is 0 elsewhere. Find C, < x > and < x^n >
Relevant Equations
ψ(x)= \frac{1/√(2pi)} \int_-∞^∞ φ(k) exp(ikx) dx\

<expectation value of an observable>= \int ψ(x)*(observable)ψ(x)
Below I have attached an image of my possible solution. I have replaced all the relevant limits. For some reason, I am getting the final value for (i) part as ψ(x)= with an additional √2pi in the denominator. Have I made any errors or is it fine if I take it within the constant A..

IMG_20220428_024753_884.jpg

In addition I have also posted images of the solution for the (ii) part where I am obtaining ψ(0)=0 and the expectation values. I shall be extremely indebted if someone can have a look at my solutions and verify if they are fine, or otherwise, graciously provide guidance so that I may be able to correct them.

IMG_20220428_024819_487.jpg

IMG_20220428_024907_630.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Your evaluation of ##\psi(x)## looks correct. There are several different conventions for the Fourier transform that differ in factors of ##2 \pi## or ##\sqrt{2 \pi}##. For example, see section A.1 here.

Calculating ##\psi(0)## by letting ##x = 0## leads to ##\frac{0}{0}## which is ambiguous. Instead, take the limit of ##\psi(x)## as ##x## approaches zero.

Your work for part 2 looks good.

• Informative
Likes warhammer
TSny said:
Your evaluation of ##\psi(x)## looks correct. There are several different conventions for the Fourier transform that differ in factors of ##2 \pi## or ##\sqrt{2 \pi}##. For example, see section A.1 here.

Calculating ##\psi(0)## by letting ##x = 0## leads to ##\frac{0}{0}## which is ambiguous. Instead, take the limit of ##\psi(x)## as ##x## approaches zero.

Your work for part 2 looks good.
Thank you for your guidance sir.

Sir upon using the limit here, since x --> 0, and b is related to x directly, so it should also tend to zero; therefore we simply get ##\frac{A}{√2π}## as the answer for ##\psi(0)## . I hope this is now correct

warhammer said:
Sir upon using the limit here, since x --> 0, and b is related to x directly, so it should also tend to zero; therefore we simply get ##\frac{A}{√2π}## as the answer for ##\psi(0)## .
It's not clear how you deduced that ##\frac {\sin b}{b}## → 1 as ##x## → 0. Did you use l'Hôpital's Rule?

TSny said:
It's not clear how you deduced that ##\frac {\sin b}{b}## → 1 as ##x## → 0. Did you use l'Hôpital's Rule?
No sir. Instead I used the Trig identity for Limits: ## Lt b->0 \frac{sinb}{b} = 1## using the assumption that since ##b =0.5Δkx## ; b-->0 for x-->0 (the proof for the same coming from Sandwich Theorem if I recall correctly)..

Yes, there are different ways to get the limit. Good.

I think your result that ##\psi(0) = \frac{A}{\sqrt {2\pi}}## is correct.

Likes Lnewqban and warhammer
TSny said:
Yes, there are different ways to get the limit. Good.

I think your result that ##\psi(0) = \frac{A}{\sqrt {2\pi}}## is correct.
Thank you so much sir for your prompt responses. I'm highly obliged, you took out so much time to carefully evaluate my solution..🙏🏻🧡

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help.

• Love
Likes warhammer

1. What is "Intro QM" and why is verification requested on a possible solution?

"Intro QM" refers to introductory quantum mechanics, which is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the quantum level. Verification is requested on a possible solution in order to ensure that the solution is accurate and follows the principles of quantum mechanics.

2. Who is requesting verification on the possible solution?

The request for verification could come from a variety of sources, such as a researcher, a peer reviewer, or a scientific journal. It is important for any proposed solution in the field of quantum mechanics to be thoroughly verified by experts in the field.

3. What is the process for verifying a possible solution in quantum mechanics?

The process for verifying a possible solution in quantum mechanics involves a thorough analysis and evaluation of the proposed solution. This may include mathematical calculations, simulations, and experiments to test the validity and accuracy of the solution.

4. Why is verification important in quantum mechanics?

Verification is crucial in quantum mechanics because it is a complex and highly theoretical field of study. The principles and laws of quantum mechanics are fundamental to our understanding of the behavior of particles at the quantum level, and any inaccuracies or errors in solutions could lead to incorrect conclusions and hinder progress in the field.

5. How long does the verification process typically take?

The length of the verification process can vary depending on the complexity of the solution and the availability of resources and experts. It could take anywhere from a few weeks to several months or even years to thoroughly verify a possible solution in quantum mechanics.