Semi-infinite + finite potential well QM

Kyuubi
Homework Statement
A particle of mass m is subject to the potential given below (relevant equations) with V0 > 0.
Relevant Equations
\begin{align*}
V(x) = \left\{ {\begin{array}{*{20}{l}}\infty& x < 0\\-V_0&0<x<a\\0&x>a\end{array}} \right.,\\
\end{align*}
I want to verify some inspection I'm making at this problem. Because of the infinite barrier at ##x=0##, we expect the wave function to take the value 0 there to preserve continuity. As such, we can make the conclusion that the wave function will just be a sine term in the [0,a] region.

But looking at the discussion of the finite well in Griffiths' QM, we are basically just taking the odd solution of the finite well, and instead of analyzing the ##x>0## half and saying that the ##x<0## region is replicated with ##-\psi(-x)##, we are just saying that the left half is 0. This is also taking into consideration the fact that the even part of the solution is also not included.

So the solution to this problem should simply just be the odd solution of the centered finite well.
Is this a correct assessment?

Note: I am only interested in the bound states here as of now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kyuubi said:
So the solution to this problem should simply just be the odd solution of the centered finite well.
Is this a correct assessment?
I am concerned about the meaning of "just be the odd solution". As far as sketching the wavefunction, yes. But you would have to recalculate the energies of the bound states. This situation is a hybrid of the infinite potential well and a square well with bound states. I would solve the problem formally by writing the solutions in terms of constants to be determined by matching boundary conditions etc. instead of "just writing the odd solution." Don't forget to normalize in the end.

Likes Kyuubi
I'd just solve the boundary problem. You have ##\psi(x)=0## for ##x<0##, which means that you need the boundary condition ##\psi(0)=0##. Further at ##x=a## both ##\psi## and ##\psi'## should be continuous. Then for the possible energy eigenvalues you can solve for ##-V_0 \leq E \leq 0## and for ##E>0##, separately. It should be clear then, which of these values refer to bound states ("discrete" energy eigenspectrum) and scattering states ("continuous" energy spectrum).

1. What is a semi-infinite potential well in quantum mechanics?

A semi-infinite potential well is a type of potential energy barrier in quantum mechanics that extends infinitely in one direction and has a finite depth in the other direction. It is commonly used to model the behavior of particles in confined systems, such as atoms or molecules.

2. How does a particle behave in a semi-infinite potential well?

In a semi-infinite potential well, a particle can only exist within a certain region, known as the well. It has a finite probability of tunneling through the potential barrier and escaping the well, but this probability decreases as the particle's energy decreases.

3. What is the difference between a semi-infinite potential well and a finite potential well?

The main difference between a semi-infinite potential well and a finite potential well is that the former has an infinitely deep potential barrier in one direction, while the latter has a finite depth in both directions. This results in different behaviors for particles in these two types of wells.

4. How is the energy spectrum of a semi-infinite potential well determined?

The energy spectrum of a semi-infinite potential well is determined by solving the Schrödinger equation for the system. This results in a discrete set of energy levels, with the lowest energy level being the ground state and higher energy levels corresponding to excited states.

5. What are some real-world applications of semi-infinite potential wells?

Semi-infinite potential wells have various applications in quantum mechanics, such as modeling the behavior of electrons in atoms and the confinement of particles in nanoscale devices. They are also used in the study of quantum tunneling and the properties of superconductors.