Intro Quantum Course Fourier Analysis

How would you estimate the time for a chemical reaction to occur, given the information provided?In summary, the conversation discusses the use of ultra-short laser pulses to study chemical reactions and provides an example of a reaction involving A+BC->(ABC)*->AB+C. The conversation also mentions the estimation of parameters necessary for this study, including the typical final velocities of the end products and the total time for the reaction to occur in femtoseconds. The conversation also mentions the relevance of Fourier transform, but notes that it may come up in later parts of the problem.
jcnorman

Homework Statement

Using ultra-short laser pulses, it is possible to probe the reaction dynamics of many chemical reactions, such as A+BC->(ABC)*->AB+C. This worksheet estimates some of the parameters necessary to do this.

(a) If the energy available to each final states species is roughly E~0.1eV, find the typical final velocities of the end products. Assume, for example, a molecule with atomic weight of 40. Show that these velocities are typically of the order v~.01A/fs where 1fs=10^-15s. If reactions cease to occur when the species are more than a few bond lengths away, say 2-4A, estimate the total time for such a chemical reaction in femtoseconds.

There are additional parts b-f, but I think if I can get a figured out, I might can manage the rest.

Homework Equations

I am not sure. The Fourier transform is probably relevant since that is the section indicated on the problem, but it may come up in a later part.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea where to start. If someone could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like a relatively simple introduction to the question, not requiring Fourier transforms at this stage. How would you relate the energy of a species to its velocity?

Related to Intro Quantum Course Fourier Analysis

What is the purpose of an "Intro Quantum Course Fourier Analysis"?

An "Intro Quantum Course Fourier Analysis" is a course that introduces students to the concept of Fourier analysis in the context of quantum mechanics. It aims to help students understand how to use Fourier analysis to analyze and solve problems in quantum systems.

What is Fourier analysis?

Fourier analysis is a mathematical tool used to decompose a complex function into simpler sinusoidal functions. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to study and analyze periodic phenomena.

What is the connection between quantum mechanics and Fourier analysis?

In quantum mechanics, the wave function of a particle is often described as a superposition of different sinusoidal functions. Fourier analysis allows us to break down this complex wave function into its simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of quantum systems.

What are some applications of Fourier analysis in quantum mechanics?

Fourier analysis is essential in many aspects of quantum mechanics, such as analyzing the energy levels of atoms and molecules, understanding the behavior of particles in a potential well, and studying quantum entanglement. It is also used in signal processing in quantum communication and quantum computing.

What mathematical background is required for an "Intro Quantum Course Fourier Analysis"?

An understanding of basic calculus and linear algebra is necessary for an "Intro Quantum Course Fourier Analysis." Some familiarity with complex numbers and differential equations may also be helpful. However, the course will provide an introduction to the relevant mathematical concepts and techniques, so prior knowledge is not a requirement.