Intro to Analysis (Cauchy)

In summary, we are asked to prove that if {xn} and {yn} are Cauchy sequences of real numbers, and if for every η>0 there exists a positive integer N such that for every n>N, abs(xn-yn)<η, then {yn} is also a Cauchy sequence. To prove this, we will show that for every ε>0, there exists a positive integer N such that for every n,m>N, abs(yn-ym)<ε. We start by choosing an arbitrary ε>0 and using the Cauchy sequence {xn} as a bridge. By hypothesis, for every η>0, there exists an N such that for every n>N, abs
bloynoys

Homework Statement

Prove the following assertion: Suppose {xn} and {yn} are Cauchy sequences of real number. If {xn} is a cauchy sequence and for every η>0 there exists a pos. int. N such that for every n>N so that abs(xn-yn)<η then {yn} is a Cauchy sequence.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

We will prove that {yn} is a cauchy sequence by showing that for every ε>0 there exists a pos. int. N so that both n and m >N so that abs(yn-ym)<ε.

Consider ε>0 arbitrary.
Since {xn} is a cauchy sequence and by hypothesis for every η>0 there exists an N so that every n>N abs(xn-yn)<η. Choose such an N.
Consider n,m>N arbitrary.

Then I know I need to get from abs(yn-ym) to ε but unsure how to use what I have to get there correctly and if I have the rest of the proof right.

Physics news on Phys.org
bloynoys said:

Homework Statement

Prove the following assertion: Suppose {xn} and {yn} are Cauchy sequences of real number. If {xn} is a cauchy sequence and for every η>0 there exists a pos. int. N such that for every n>N so that abs(xn-yn)<η then {yn} is a Cauchy sequence.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

We will prove that {yn} is a cauchy sequence by showing that for every ε>0 there exists a pos. int. N so that both n and m >N so that abs(yn-ym)<ε.

Consider ε>0 arbitrary.
Since {xn} is a cauchy sequence and by hypothesis for every η>0 there exists an N so that every n>N abs(xn-yn)<η. Choose such an N.
Consider n,m>N arbitrary.

Then I know I need to get from abs(yn-ym) to ε but unsure how to use what I have to get there correctly and if I have the rest of the proof right.

Use the Cauchy sequence {xn} as your bridge, think about triangle inequality, also note that η may be set according to ε

1. What is "Intro to Analysis (Cauchy)"?

"Intro to Analysis (Cauchy)" is a course that introduces students to the fundamentals of mathematical analysis, specifically focusing on the work of French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy. It covers topics such as limits, continuity, differentiation, integration, and sequences and series.

2. What is the difference between "Intro to Analysis (Cauchy)" and other introductory analysis courses?

The main difference between "Intro to Analysis (Cauchy)" and other introductory analysis courses is the emphasis on the work of Cauchy. This means that the course will focus on the historical context and development of Cauchy's ideas, as well as his specific techniques and methods.

3. What are the prerequisites for taking "Intro to Analysis (Cauchy)"?

The prerequisites for this course may vary depending on the institution, but typically students should have a strong foundation in calculus, including knowledge of limits, derivatives, and integrals. Some knowledge of basic algebra and trigonometry is also recommended.

4. How is "Intro to Analysis (Cauchy)" relevant to real-world applications?

While the concepts covered in this course may seem abstract, they have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, the study of limits and derivatives is essential in understanding motion and rates of change, while integration is used in calculating areas and volumes.

5. What are the main learning objectives of "Intro to Analysis (Cauchy)"?

The main learning objectives of this course are to develop students' understanding and skills in mathematical analysis, to introduce them to the work of Cauchy and its historical significance, and to prepare them for further study in advanced mathematics courses.