Introducing Math Problem of the Week

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Featured
In summary: I needed it when I was just trying to understand real world physics.ThanksBillLandau is good! Actually I've had the bug since High School but when I decided to go into QFT it almost became a necessity. For reasons I won't go into here I've had to teach myself the whole field of QFT (Weinberg is my current favorite for this) and I've found I needed a heck of a lot of Math just to read it, much...more so than I needed it when I was just trying to understand real world physics.
One of the best things to migrate over from MHB is their Problem of the Week program. Let me introduce the POTW directors @anemone and @Euge, who had been running the POTW at MHB for 8 years and we're very glad to have them continue the great program here. I'll let them say hi and tell you what to expect!

At the moment, the POTW forum is located in General Math.
https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/potw-for-secondary-and-high-school-students.348/

Last edited:
Likes hagopbul, benorin, Thytanium and 11 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello to all!

I am anemone. I am from MHB and I wish to share a brief history regarding the ongoing problem of the week that we had at MHB.

Shortly after MHB's creation early in 2012, a feature was added whereby each week a challenging problem in each of three levels of expertise would be posted for consideration: Secondary/high school, Under graduate and Post graduate.

It was hoped this would engage the community and stimulate curiosity. Our POTW directors were dedicated and kept the problems flowing for ten years week after week.

Since MHB has been merged into PF, I would like to carry on this tradition that we started at MHB here. A new set of problems will be posted on every Monday and the solution, if no one solved the problem correctly, will be posted a week after. At PF, members can submit their solution by replying to the POTW thread, and you may use the spoiler tags to hide your solutions. However, collaboration between members is allowed by building on the replies.

I hereby welcome all members to participate in POTW section!

• Love
Likes Jameson, vanhees71, kith and 37 others
Please excuse my ignorance: What/Who is MHB?

• Wow
Likes jedishrfu, malawi_glenn, chemisttree and 1 other person
@anemone Forgot to say welcome to PF!

Likes jedishrfu, bhobba and anemone
WWGD said:
Please excuse my ignorance: What/Who is MHB?
We used to be a mathematics forum that allowed members to get free math help or discuss any of the math problems. :cool:

Likes vanhees71, Thytanium, jedishrfu and 4 others
Drakkith said:
@anemone Forgot to say welcome to PF!
@Drakkith, thanks for the welcome!

• Haha
Likes vanhees71, jedishrfu, WWGD and 1 other person
@anemone

Welcome to PF!. I think I solved some of your challenge problems on MHB.

Likes vanhees71, jedishrfu, bhobba and 2 others
Welcome!

Likes vanhees71, jedishrfu, bhobba and 1 other person
Welcome to Physics Forums @anemone. Hope that your assimilation goes well. :oldtongue:

Likes vanhees71, jedishrfu, bhobba and 1 other person
Borg said:
Hope that your assimilation goes well. :oldtongue:
Especially as resistance is futile.

• Haha
Likes DrClaude, jedishrfu and Borg
Borek said:
Especially as resistance is futile.
Reference please. My book says resistance is voltage over current. :wink:

• Haha
Likes vanhees71, malawi_glenn, dextercioby and 4 others
Everyone should feel free to try out the past POTW. The current POTW will always be stickied.

Likes vanhees71, jedishrfu, I like Serena and 1 other person
anemone said:
Hello to all!

I am anemone. I am from MHB and I wish to share a brief history regarding the ongoing problem of the week that we had at MHB.

Shortly after MHB's creation early in 2012, a feature was added whereby each week a challenging problem in each of three levels of expertise would be posted for consideration: Secondary/high school, Under graduate and Post graduate.

It was hoped this would engage the community and stimulate curiosity. Our POTW directors were dedicated and kept the problems flowing for ten years week after week.

Since MHB has been merged into PF, I would like to carry on this tradition that we started at MHB here. A new set of problems will be posted on every Monday and the solution, if no one solved the problem correctly, will be posted a week after. At PF, members can submit their solution by replying to the POTW thread, and you may use the spoiler tags to hide your solutions. However, collaboration between members is allowed by building on the replies.

Welcome to PF!

Likes vanhees71 and anemone
Petek said:
@anemone

Welcome to PF!. I think I solved some of your challenge problems on MHB.
Yes, @Petek, you did indeed! I remember it!:smile:

Likes jedishrfu and Greg Bernhardt
Indeed welcome. My background is math, but I became seduced by mathematical physics. However always loved math.

Thanks
Bill

Likes anemone and jedishrfu
At least it was not called Math Forums Board, else we would have a mix up with our @mfb , having both a lower-case and capitalized version.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Informative
Likes malawi_glenn, mfb, Wrichik Basu and 3 others
bhobba said:
Indeed welcome. My background is math, but I became seduced by mathematical physics. However always loved math.

Thanks
Bill
Good to meet you. I'm a Physicist that has become seduced by Mathematical Physics!

-Dan

Likes anemone
topsquark said:
Good to meet you. I'm a Physicist that has become seduced by Mathematical Physics!

It's contagious. I caught it from Landau - Mechanics. If you haven't read it, please do, and then your conversion will be complete.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
It's contagious. I caught it from Landau - Mechanics. If you haven't read it, please do, and then your conversion will be complete.

Thanks
Bill
Landau is good! Actually I've had the bug since High School but when I decided to go into QFT it almost became a necessity. For reasons I won't go into here I've had to teach myself the whole field of QFT (Weinberg is my current favorite for this) and I've found I needed a heck of a lot of Math just to read it, much less do anything with it.

-Dan

Likes bhobba
topsquark said:
Landau is good! Actually I've had the bug since High School but when I decided to go into QFT it almost became a necessity. For reasons I won't go into here I've had to teach myself the whole field of QFT (Weinberg is my current favorite for this) and I've found I needed a heck of a lot of Math just to read it, much less do anything with it.

-Dan
I'm still trying to figure out how the bra and ket thing works.

Likes topsquark
anemone said:
Hello to all!

Welcome anémone. Thank you for being here collaborating with PF. Very grateful for your presence.

Likes bhobba, WWGD, anemone and 1 other person
WWGD said:

Before I learned QM I used to use the standard bracket thing for the inner products. After I always use bra-ket notation. It's contagious.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Before I learned QM I used to use the standard bracket thing for the inner products. After I always use bra-ket notation. It's contagious.

Thanks
Bill
I'm kind of embarrassed that I've gone over explanations several times, but maybe I did not pay enough attention.

topsquark said:
(Weinberg is my current favorite for this)

I like Wienberg too, but he is a bit advanced for my QFT level which is about at QFT For The Gifted Amateur. We have a high-powered researcher, from I think Oxford, who sporadically posts here. He is very good, and I eagerly wait for anything he writes. He called Wienberg - the old man - when Wienberg was alive.

Thanks
Bill

Likes topsquark
WWGD said:
I'm kind of embarrassed that I've gone over explanations several times, but maybe I did not pay enough attention.

Seriously it's easy. First, read the following even though it seems to not be relevant:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521558905/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The Kets are simply the test functions, the Bras are the distributions (or dual space as it's sometimes called). Hilbert spaces have the interesting property that the Bra's and Kets can be placed in 1-1 correspondence. This is the origin of the so-called Gefland Tripple you can look into if you wish.

Thanks
Bill

Likes topsquark and WWGD
WWGD said:
Modern QM by Sakurai has an excellent detailed explanation on the bra, kets, operators and the like.

Likes bhobba and topsquark
Hi Everyone,

I am Euge, MHB POTW director for university and graduate level POTW. I plan to post problems biweekly on Sundays. Hopefully, you'll enjoy tackling some of them! Of course, open collaboration and multiple solutions are welcome. Please use spoiler tags to hide your solutions.

I look forward to getting to know you!

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes malawi_glenn, jedishrfu, julian and 9 others
@Euge! You've made it over here! Thank you for joining!

You're pretty much the smartest mathematician that I've ever seen and I've always been impressed that you were willing to put up the university and graduate POTW's on a regular basis.
So I hope the people here will welcome you, and give your problems at least a try. I won't hold my breath if they can solve your graduate POTW's though, or even your university POTW's.

• Love
Likes Jameson, jedishrfu, bhobba and 4 others
I like Serena said:
@Euge! You've made it over here! Thank you for joining!

You're pretty much the smartest mathematician that I've ever seen and I've always been impressed that you were willing to put up the university and graduate POTW's on a regular basis.
So I hope the people here will welcome you, and give your problems at least a try. I won't hold my breath if they can solve your graduate POTW's though, or even your university POTW's.
Thanks! Well, I suspect that several members are capable of solving both of the advanced POTWs, considering the mathematical talent displayed on this site.

Likes jedishrfu, julian, bhobba and 4 others
Welcome to the PF @Euge! It is exciting to have somebody with your abilities joining the forum!

I have a PhD in theoretical physics and enjoy tackling undergraduate maths problems. But I fear that your postgraduate problems will be beyond me. Just checking, so you will you be giving us 2 weeks to solve the problems?

Last edited:
Likes anemone, Greg Bernhardt, jedishrfu and 1 other person
Thanks @julian! I will not be so stringent with the POTW. If no one answers the POTW in 2 weeks, then I will post my solution. Other solutions are still welcome after the two-week period.

Likes bhobba, topsquark, anemone and 3 others