Introduction of a factor Δℓ when summing equal distants 𝐶ℓ

In summary, the standard deviation of a ##C_\ell## can be calculated using the formula ##\sigma(C_\ell)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{(2\ell+1)\Delta\ell}} C_\ell##, where ##\Delta\ell## is the width of the multipoles bins used when computing the angular power spectra. This factor appears because, in cases where there is a finite number of equidistant multipoles with associated ##C_\ell## values, the variance for a single bin must be averaged over the entire interval. This can be demonstrated using the rectangular integration method, giving the expression for the variance as ##\text{Var}(C_{\ell,b})=\dfrac{1
fab13
TL;DR Summary
I would like to demonstrate the formula that defines the standard deviation of a 𝐶ℓ and mostly justify the presence of the factor Δℓ when we have a finite number of 𝐶ℓ's angular power spectrum and associated finite number of multipole ℓ (generated by a code ). I tried at the end of my post to calculate the mean Cℓ for a single bin but it is missing a factor 2. Any help would be really appreciated. This is a problem about the theorical/numerical frontier given the fact I have not Δℓ=1.
Hello,

In the context of Legendre expansion with ##C_\ell## quantities, below the following formula which is the error on a ##C_\ell## :

##\sigma_(C_{\ell})=\sqrt{\frac{2}{(2 \ell+1)\Delta\ell}}\,C_{\ell}\quad(1)##

where ##\Delta\ell## is the width of the multipoles bins used when computing the angular power spectra.

I would like to understand why this factor appears. Normally, we can infer the expression of ##\sigma_(C_{\ell})## and get :

##\sigma_(C_{\ell})=\sqrt{\frac{2}{(2 \ell+1)}}\,C_{\ell}##

That is to say, without having the ##\Delta\ell## factor under the root.

In my case, I have only a finite number of multipoles ##\ell## (60 exactly) in a range between 10 and 5000 and 60 corresponding ##C_\ell##. From my tutor, to compute this standard-deviation, I have to take :

##\Delta\ell=(4990/60)##.

But I would like to understand why I have to use this factor when we have a finite number of equidistant multipoles with associated ##C_\ell## values.

For example, my tutor told me that, ideally, we would have a ##C_\ell## for each ##\ell=1..N##, i.e with ##\ell=1,2,3,4,...N## with the formula :

##\sigma(C_{\ell})^2=\frac{2}{(2 \ell+1)}\,C_{\ell}^{2}##

But he mentionned that, like we have only a finite number of equidistant multipoles ##\ell##, we are obliged to use this factor ##\Delta\ell## in our case (equation##(1)##).

My tutor told me it is like an average on the expression with multipole ##\ell##, i.e on the factor ##\sqrt{\dfrac{2}{(2\ell+1)}}##, but I didn't fully understand this meaning.

Could anyone help me to justify the using of this factor ##\Delta\ell## ?

UPDATE : Someone tried quickly to explain why we introduce this factor ##\Delta\ell## inside the square root, but I am still confused about this demonstration.

Here is his reasoning :

For the interval ##b##: ##b=[\ell, \ell+\Delta\ell]##, one has :

##C_{\ell,b}=\dfrac{1}{\Delta\ell}\,\sum_{\ell'=\ell}^{\ell'+\Delta\ell}\,C_{\ell'}##

If one takes the variance, then :

##\text{Var}(C_{\ell,b})=\dfrac{1}{\Delta\ell^2}\,\sum_{\ell'}\text{Var}(C_{\ell'})##

##\text{Var}(C_{\ell,b})=\dfrac{1}{\Delta\ell^2}\,\sum_{\ell'}\dfrac{2}{(2\ell'+1)}\,(C_{\ell'})\quad(2)##

Important step here, one considers the equality (which is actually an approximation) :

##\sum_{\ell'}\dfrac{2}{(2\ell'+1)}\,(C_{\ell'})=\dfrac{2}{(2\ell_{mean}+1)}\,(C_{\ell'_{mean}}^2)\,\Delta\ell\quad(3)##

This way, we have from equation ##(2)## :

##\text{Var}(C_{\ell,b})\simeq \dfrac{1}{\Delta\ell^2}\,\dfrac{2}{(2\ell_{mean}+1)}\,(C_{\ell'_{mean}}^2)\,\Delta\ell##

Finally the expression of the variance for the interval ##b##:

##\text{Var}(C_{\ell,b})\simeq \dfrac{1}{\Delta\ell}\,\dfrac{2}{(2\ell_{mean}+1)}\,(C_{\ell'_{mean}}^2)##

I still didn't understand the step between ##(2)## and ##(3)##.

For me, an average is under the form :

##C_{\ell'_{mean}}=\dfrac{1}{2}\,(C_{\ell'}+C_{\ell'+\Delta\ell})## but I can't see this factor ##\dfrac{1}{2}## in this reasoning.

If someone could explain this critical step between ##(2)## and ##(3)##.

Space news on Phys.org
The average ##\bar x## of ##N## different quantities ##x_i## satisfies ##\sum x_i = \bar x N##. This is what is being used.

@Orodruin : thanks for your quick answer.

Could you be please more explicit with the notations I took ? your formula is trivial but I have difficulties to apply it with my notations.

Moreover, do you give a reasoning on a single bin of width ##\Delta\ell## or on the total interval ##[\ell_{min},\ell_{max}]## ?

In the formula ##\sum x_i = \bar x N##, does ##N## correspond to ##\Delta\ell## in my formula ?

Thanks in advance, Regards

Last edited:
Isn't really there nobody who could explain me my problem of understanding about my last message above ?

fab13 said:
Summary:: I would like to demonstrate the formula that defines the standard deviation of a 𝐶ℓ and mostly justify the presence of the factor Δℓ when we have a finite number of 𝐶ℓ's angular power spectrum and associated finite number of multipole ℓ (generated by a code ). I tried at the end of my post to calculate the mean Cℓ for a single bin but it is missing a factor 2. Any help would be really appreciated. This is a problem about the theorical/numerical frontier given the fact I have not Δℓ=1.

For me, an average is under the form :

Cℓmean′=12(Cℓ′+Cℓ′+Δℓ) but I can't see this factor 12 in this reasoning.

If someone could explain this critical step between (2) and (3).
Can you not work it "backwards" to see what N must be in this situation? You have the answer provided to you, It is worrisome that this step eludes you.

Hi everyone,

It seems that I may have a "demonstration" about my issue of understanding :

If i take the expression for the bin "##b##" ##[\ell_b,\ell_b+\Delta\ell_b]## :

##C_{\ell,b}=\dfrac{1}{\Delta\ell_b}\,\sum_{\ell=\ell_b}^{\ell_b+\Delta\ell_{b}}\,(C_{\ell})##

Then :

##\text{Var}(C_{\ell,b})=\dfrac{1}{\Delta\ell_b^2}\,\sum_{\ell=\ell_b}^{\ell_b+\Delta\ell_{b}}\,\text{Var}(C_{\ell})\quad(2)##

By taking ##\Delta\ell=1##, we can have :

##\text{Var}(C_{\ell_b})=\dfrac{1}{\Delta\ell_{b}^2}\,\sum_{\ell=\ell_b}^{\ell+\Delta\ell}\dfrac{2}{(2\ell+1)}\,(C_{\ell}^2)\Delta\ell \simeq \int_{\ell=\ell_{b}}^{\ell_{b}+\Delta\ell_b} \dfrac{1}{\Delta\ell_{b}^2} \dfrac{2}{2 \ell+1}\,C_\ell^2\text{d}\ell \quad(3)##

and this integral can be approximated by rectangular integration method :

##\int_{\ell=\ell_{b}}^{\ell_{b}+\Delta\ell_b} \dfrac{1}{\Delta\ell_{b}^2} \dfrac{2}{2 \ell+1}\,C_\ell^2\text{d}\ell \simeq \dfrac{1}{\Delta\ell_{b}^{2}} \dfrac{2}{(2\ell_{b}+1)} \,C_{\ell_{b}}^{2} \Delta{\ell_{b}} =\quad(4)##

where ##\Delta{\ell_{b}}## is the delta width of bin "##b##" :

then, I could write :

##\text{Var}(C_{\ell,b})=\dfrac{1}{\Delta\ell_{b}} \dfrac{2}{(2 \ell_{b}+1)}\,C_{\ell_b}^{2} \quad(5)##

Do you think my reasoning is right ?

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of introducing a factor Δℓ when summing equal distances 𝐶ℓ?

The factor Δℓ is introduced to account for the difference in distances between points when summing equal distances. This is important in order to accurately calculate the overall distance between points and to account for any discrepancies that may arise.

2. How does the factor Δℓ affect the overall distance calculation?

The factor Δℓ is multiplied by the sum of equal distances 𝐶ℓ, which results in a more accurate calculation of the overall distance. This helps to account for any variations in distances between points and ensures a more precise measurement.

3. Is the factor Δℓ always necessary when summing equal distances 𝐶ℓ?

In most cases, the factor Δℓ is necessary in order to accurately calculate the overall distance between points. However, there may be certain situations where it is not needed, such as when the distances between points are all equal.

4. How is the factor Δℓ determined?

The factor Δℓ is typically determined through careful measurement and calculation. It takes into account the specific distances between points and is calculated based on the overall sum of these distances.

5. Can the factor Δℓ be used in other types of calculations?

The factor Δℓ is primarily used in distance calculations, but it may also be applicable in other types of calculations where equal distances are being summed. However, its use may depend on the specific context and variables involved.