Introduction to Fourier Integral

In summary, the student is asking for guidance on constructing an orthonormal system from three given functions in a calculus course. While they suggest using linear algebra methods, the expert points out that an orthonormal set is a concept in linear algebra and cannot be avoided. They suggest using the Gram-Schmidt process, but since the inner product is not specified, further guidance cannot be given. The expert also reminds the student to link concepts from different types of courses together.
overseastar
I have a homework question asking to construct an orthonormal system from the three functions: 1, x, 3x^2 - 1, I know we can approach it using linear algebra method, but as this is a calculus course, I don't think that's what my prof wants us to use. Can anyone guide me through this? Thanks a bunch!

Physics news on Phys.org
overseastar said:
I have a homework question asking to construct an orthonormal system from the three functions: 1, x, 3x^2 - 1, I know we can approach it using linear algebra method, but as this is a calculus course, I don't think that's what my prof wants us to use. Can anyone guide me through this? Thanks a bunch!
Well an "orthonormal set" is an object out of linear algebra so you're not going to be able to avoid using techniques out of linear algebra. You'll probably have to use the Gram-Schmidt process. But that depends specifically on the inner product you're using and since you didn't specify what that is, I can't really help you much more than this. (The inner product is probably defined in terms of an integral and that's where the calculus exercise would come in.)

Why do people presume that just because 'this is a type X' course that they will never have to use something that they might not consider to be of 'type X'?

Sorry, that was just a little assumption I made, matt grime.
i guess i should learn to start linking all my math concepts from the two types courses together.
The original question says that the 3 orthogonal functions are with respect to the weight function 1 on the interval [-1,1]

The prerequisites you need to know are explained in the course material, and are evident in the syllabus, usually. Try to keep the discussion in the other thread to avoid duplicate answers.

Related to Introduction to Fourier Integral

What is the Fourier integral?

The Fourier integral is a mathematical tool used to represent a function as a sum of sine and cosine functions of different frequencies. It is a generalization of the Fourier series, which is used to represent periodic functions.

What is the purpose of the Fourier integral?

The purpose of the Fourier integral is to break down a function into its component frequencies, making it easier to analyze and manipulate. This is particularly useful in signal processing, where it is used to filter out unwanted frequencies and extract important information from a signal.

How does the Fourier integral work?

The Fourier integral works by decomposing a function into an infinite sum of sine and cosine functions with different amplitudes and frequencies. This is done using a mathematical formula called the Fourier transform, which essentially calculates the contribution of each frequency component to the original function.

What are some applications of the Fourier integral?

The Fourier integral has many applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. Some common applications include signal processing, image processing, partial differential equations, and quantum mechanics.

What are the limitations of the Fourier integral?

The Fourier integral has some limitations, such as the assumption that the function being analyzed is continuous and has a finite integral. It also assumes that the function is periodic, which may not always be the case in real-world applications. Additionally, the Fourier integral may not converge for certain functions, making it unsuitable for their analysis.