Introduction to Pigeonhole Principle

In summary, the conversation is about a homework assignment on the Pigeonhole Principle. The person is struggling to come up with an example and is seeking help. Another person suggests using the fact that if 51 numbers are chosen from 1 to 100, there will be at least 2 numbers with no common prime factor. The person asks for clarification on how to apply the principle in this scenario.
saintrenz

Homework Statement

Give a sample problem its solution employing Pigeonhole Principle

Homework Equations

Pigeonhole Principle

The Attempt at a Solution

We have this homework about pigeonhole principle which hasn't been discussed yet, but we need to present an example and present it in class,, I've been searching, I get the holes and pigeons like logic stuff,, If i were to get an example i would use the birthday problem which is easy,, but i don't know if this is relevant,, if there's anyone who could explain or could give any easy example.. this would really help.. also please provide with explanation and solution tnx

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to do this one:

Say I choose 51 numbers from 1,2,...,100. Then there will be at least 2 numbers who do not have a common prime factor.

so pigeons would be the 100 and 51 would be the pigeon box right? or 2?
so how do i equate it? do i use subset?

No, the pigeon boxes are somewhat more complicated.

Hint: the numbers k and k+1 do not have common prime divisor.

Related to Introduction to Pigeonhole Principle

What is the Pigeonhole Principle?

The Pigeonhole Principle, also known as the Dirichlet principle, is a concept in combinatorics that states that if there are more objects than there are containers to hold them, at least one container must hold more than one object.

How is the Pigeonhole Principle used in mathematics?

The Pigeonhole Principle is used to prove mathematical theorems and solve counting problems. It is commonly used in areas such as combinatorics, number theory, and graph theory.

What is an example of the Pigeonhole Principle?

An example of the Pigeonhole Principle is the fact that if there are 5 days in a week and 8 people in a room, then at least 2 people must have their birthday on the same day of the week.

How is the Pigeonhole Principle related to the concept of infinity?

The Pigeonhole Principle shows that even with an infinite number of objects, if they are divided into a finite number of containers, at least one container must contain an infinite number of objects.

Are there any real-life applications of the Pigeonhole Principle?

Yes, the Pigeonhole Principle has many real-life applications, such as in scheduling algorithms, error detection in computer systems, and in cryptography for cracking codes.