Introductory book on special relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for an introductory book on special relativity, specifically with a focus on understanding the Dirac equation. Some recommendations for books are "The Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol.1" by R. Feynman and "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by J.J. Sakurai. It is suggested to have a background in courses such as QM, EM, and calculus for a better understanding. Additionally, it is mentioned that the Dirac equation can be studied in both the context of bound systems (such as atoms) and in quantum field theory.
blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm looking for an introduction level books on special relativity. My goal is to get familiar with Dirac equation as I'm into atomic physics in this semester. My background on the subject is that I have taken a course in the past which was designed to be kind of introductory to modern physics in general, and a short topic on SR was included..I heard some people recommend A Traveler's Guide to Spacetime for beginners but as I judge from the title and the number of pages this book appears to be really directed for zero background beginners. Do you think this book will really help along with my purpose? If not which books would you suggest?
In addition, in which course title do physics student typically encounter and learn Dirac equation for the first time? I'm also thinking that having lecture notes will help me know the majority of contents taught in the subject.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Dirac equation would either be at the very tail end of a second semester of a senior QM course, somewhere in certain atomic/nuclear physics courses, or most certainly within a graduate QM/QFT course.

If you're looking for a good introduction to SR I believe we would need to know more about your current background in physics. Have you taken any third/fourth year EM or QM courses? What is your current level of familiarity in CM?

"The Feynman Lectures on Physics Vol.1" by R. Feynman Chapter 15 (basic knowledge of calculus and algebra is sufficient)
For more in depth on the Dirac equation "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by J.J. Sakurai chapter 8.2 (quite some knowledge of linear algebra and Einstein notation needed otherwise the derivations can be hard to follow)

hope this helps

snatchingthepi said:
If you're looking for a good introduction to SR I believe we would need to know more about your current background in physics. Have you taken any third/fourth year EM or QM courses? What is your current level of familiarity in CM?
Some courses I have taken are QM 1, math methods in physics, EM, and calculus.
Qiao said:
For more in depth on the Dirac equation "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by J.J. Sakurai chapter 8.2 (quite some knowledge of linear algebra and Einstein notation needed otherwise the derivations can be hard to follow)
Thanks, I look for it too.

I'd recommend you simply pick up a good book on GR and study the SR sections in detail. For example, Schutz "A First Course in General Relativity" is a great GR book and the first four of twelve chapters are exclusively on SR and developing a solid framework for using it. Carroll's book "Spacetime and Geometry" is also great for this purpose.

Likes Frimus and blue_leaf77
You seem to be interested in Dirac equation in the context of bound systems, e.g., atoms. Another context for the Dirac equation is elementary particles and quantum field theory. For a gentle introduction, I recommend

3 Relativistic Kinematics
3.1 Lorentz Transformations
3.2 Four-vectors
3.3 Energy and Momentum
3.4 Collisions
3.4.1 Classical Collisions
3.4.2 Relativistic Collisions
3.5 Examples and Applications
7.1 The Dirac Equation
7.2 Solutions to the Dirac Equation
7.3 Bilinear Covariants

from the book "Elementary Particles" by Griffiths.

Likes blue_leaf77 and snatchingthepi
Great advice George Jones.

Well, the right way to look at the Dirac equation is QFT and only QFT. It's no contradiction, because you can prove from QFT, why under the circumstances used in atomic physics, you are allowed to use the "wave-function interpretation" for the bound-state problem as a "0th order approximation". On top of this you can use QFT to take "radiative corrections" into account, leading to some of the most beautiful results of high-precision theory like the Lamb shift of the hydrogen atom, which after all is the reason for the development of modern QFT from 1948 on!

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the speed of light in a vacuum is constant for all observers.

Why is special relativity important?

Special relativity is important because it revolutionized our understanding of space and time and has been confirmed by numerous experiments. It also serves as the basis for many modern technologies, such as GPS systems.

What are the key principles of special relativity?

The key principles of special relativity are the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant for all observers.

How does time dilation work in special relativity?

Time dilation in special relativity is the phenomenon where time appears to move slower for objects moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This is due to the fact that as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, time appears to slow down for that object.

What are some practical applications of special relativity?

Some practical applications of special relativity include GPS systems, particle accelerators, and nuclear power. These technologies all rely on the principles of special relativity to function accurately and efficiently.