Introductory Electromagnetics: induced E-field

In summary, we have discussed the calculation of the induced electric field inside and outside an ideal solenoid and compared it with a dipole antenna. While they both produce an electric field due to a changing magnetic field, there are some differences in their efficiency and purpose.
nonequilibrium

Homework Statement

"You have an ideal solenoid with n windings per meter, with a current I = I' sin(wt) going through it. Calculate the induced electric field inside and outside the coil. Side: compare with dipole antenna."

Homework Equations

Maxwell equations
B = n mu I (magnetic field inside a perfect coil)

The Attempt at a Solution

Shall I assume that we have to calculate the E-field induced by the changing B-field that is in its turn induced from I? Or is there a more primary E-field I'm forgetting...

So if I imagine a coil laying for me from left to right with the B-field inside at a certain moment pointing to the left, I can take a vertical slice. The E-field at a distance r from the center of the solenoid will be pointing perpendicular on the B-field. Due to symmetry, I can argue that in a circle with a radius r (smaller than the radius of the solenoid) the E field is the same in size all over the circle. So with Faraday's Law:

E 2pi r = d(n mu I pi r²)/dt = n mu I' pi r² w cos(wt)

So inside the solenoid: E = n mu I' r w cos(wt) / 2?

For outside the solenoid, I think I can take B = 0, and then with the same symmetry reasoning, I get E ~ 1/r outside the solenoid.

As for the dipole antenna: they're in principle the same? (causing EM-radiation at a distance) That last question is a bit vague...

A difference between the two is that the E-field with a dipole antenna is more "direct", in a way that the charges themselves generate the E-field. Here the E-field is very secondary, only coming from a changing B-field that was induced itself... Is this an important difference?

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to carefully consider all aspects of a problem before attempting to solve it. In this case, we are given an ideal solenoid with n windings per meter and a sinusoidal current passing through it. The task is to calculate the induced electric field inside and outside the coil and make a comparison with a dipole antenna.

First, let's consider the primary source of the induced electric field. In this case, it is the changing magnetic field induced by the sinusoidal current passing through the solenoid. This is in line with Faraday's Law, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field. Therefore, we can proceed with our calculations based on this understanding.

Inside the solenoid, we can use the formula B = nμI to calculate the magnetic field. Then, using Faraday's Law, we can calculate the induced electric field as E = -dΦ/dt. Since the magnetic field is changing in a sinusoidal manner, the induced electric field will also be sinusoidal. Therefore, we can write E = E' sin(wt) where E' is the amplitude of the induced electric field.

To calculate the amplitude, we can use the formula E' = nμI'w, where I' is the amplitude of the current and w is the angular frequency. So inside the solenoid, the induced electric field will be E = nμI'w sin(wt).

Outside the solenoid, we can assume that the magnetic field is negligible and therefore, the induced electric field will be solely due to the changing magnetic field inside the solenoid. Using the same formula as before, we can calculate the amplitude of the induced electric field outside the solenoid as E' = nμI'w. Therefore, outside the solenoid, the induced electric field will be E = nμI'w sin(wt).

Now, let's compare this with a dipole antenna. A dipole antenna also produces an electric field due to a changing magnetic field created by the oscillating charges on the antenna. However, there are some differences between the two. One major difference is that the dipole antenna is designed to radiate electromagnetic waves, whereas the solenoid is not. Additionally, the dipole antenna is more efficient in producing a direct electric field, while the solenoid's induced electric field is more of a secondary

1. What is an induced electric field?

An induced electric field is a type of electric field that is created when a changing magnetic field passes through a conductor. This changing magnetic field causes the free electrons in the conductor to move, creating a flow of charge and thus an electric field.

2. How is an induced electric field different from a static electric field?

A static electric field is created by stationary charges, while an induced electric field is created by a changing magnetic field. Additionally, a static electric field is always present, while an induced electric field only exists when the magnetic field is changing.

3. What is Faraday's law of induction?

Faraday's law of induction states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field in a nearby conductor. The magnitude of this induced electric field is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field.

4. How is an induced electric field measured?

An induced electric field can be measured using a device called a voltmeter. The voltmeter measures the potential difference between two points in the conductor, which is directly related to the strength of the induced electric field.

5. What are some practical applications of induced electric fields?

Induced electric fields have many practical applications in our daily lives, such as in generators, transformers, and electric motors. They are also used in wireless charging technology and electromagnetic sensors. Understanding induced electric fields is crucial in the development of many modern technologies.