Intuition about Stokes flow beween solid walls

In summary, in incompressible Stokes flow in a channel between solid walls, there cannot be a net velocity in the normal direction to the walls due to the no-slip boundary condition. This can be formally shown using the incompressibility condition, which leads to the conclusion that the velocity in the flow direction must be zero everywhere. If you have any further questions, please let me know and I will be happy to assist.
Hemmer
Hi there,

I have a question about incompressible Stokes flow in a channel between solid walls (with no-slip boundary conditions at ##y = 0, L_y##). It is my intuition that, if the flow direction is ##x## (periodic), and the direction normal to the walls is ##y##, then there cannot be a net velocity in that direction, i.e. ##\langle v_y \rangle = 0##, as this somehow implies fluid must be passing through the walls? Is this correct and if so how should I go about showing this? I guess it might require some integration of the incompressibility condition but I've not got anywhere yet. Full equations:

$$\eta\nabla^2 \textbf{v} - \nabla p = \textbf{f}, \qquad\nabla . \textbf{v}=0$$

Please let me know if you require any additional information, and any replies greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. You are correct in your intuition that in incompressible Stokes flow in a channel between solid walls, there cannot be a net velocity in the normal direction to the walls. This is a result of the no-slip boundary condition at the walls, which means that the velocity of the fluid at the wall must be equal to the velocity of the wall itself. Therefore, there can be no net fluid passing through the walls.

To formally show this, we can use the incompressibility condition, which states that the divergence of the velocity field must be equal to zero. In this case, we can write this as:

$$\nabla \cdot \textbf{v} = \frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y} = 0$$

Since the flow direction is in the ##x## direction and the walls are in the ##y## direction, we can assume that the velocity in the ##x## direction is non-zero while the velocity in the ##y## direction is zero. Therefore, we can rewrite the above equation as:

$$\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x} = 0$$

This means that the velocity in the ##x## direction is constant and does not vary in the ##x## direction. However, since the flow is periodic, the velocity at one end of the channel must be equal to the velocity at the other end. Therefore, the only possible solution is that the velocity in the ##x## direction is zero everywhere. This also means that the average velocity in the ##y## direction must be zero, as you correctly stated.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is Stokes flow?

Stokes flow is a type of slow, viscous flow that occurs in a fluid when the inertial forces are negligible compared to the viscous forces. This means that the fluid particles move smoothly and follow the surrounding flow without any turbulence or eddies.

2. What is the significance of studying Stokes flow between solid walls?

Stokes flow between solid walls is a simplified model for studying fluid flow in small channels, like capillaries or microfluidic devices. Understanding this type of flow can help us predict and control fluid behavior in these confined spaces, which has numerous applications in fields such as biomedical engineering, materials science, and chemical engineering.

3. How can we calculate the velocity of the fluid in Stokes flow between solid walls?

The velocity of the fluid in Stokes flow between solid walls can be calculated using the Stokes equation, which relates the viscous stress in the fluid to the velocity gradient. This equation takes into account the fluid viscosity, the flow geometry, and the boundary conditions at the solid walls.

4. Are there any real-world examples of Stokes flow between solid walls?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of Stokes flow between solid walls. Some examples include blood flow in capillaries, flow of fluids in porous media, and flow of lubricants in bearings. This type of flow is also commonly observed in microfluidic devices, where it is utilized for precise control of fluids.

5. What are the limitations of Stokes flow between solid walls?

Stokes flow is a simplified model that assumes the fluid is incompressible, the flow is slow, and the fluid viscosity is constant. In reality, these assumptions may not hold true, and there may be other factors that affect the fluid behavior. Therefore, Stokes flow between solid walls may not accurately represent all real-world fluid flow situations.