Navier-Stokes equation for parallel flow

In summary, the conversation discussed finding an equation for the flow velocity of a river that is parallel to the bottom as a function of the perpendicular distance from the surface. The given assumptions were that the flow obeys the Navier-Stokes equation for an incompressible flow, the current is steady, the density is uniform, and the current is a parallel shear flow. The homework equations included the Navier-Stokes equation for incompressible fluid. The attempt at a solution involved simplifying the Navier-Stokes equation and solving for the flow velocity as a function of the perpendicular distance. The final equation was u(z) = \frac{1}{2}\frac{\rho}{\mu}g\sin{\theta}z^2
krabbie

Homework Statement

[/B]
Find an equation for the flow velocity of a river that is parallel to the bottom as a function of the perpendicular distance from the surface. Apply the boundary conditions given and solve, and find the velocity at the surface. Note that the coordinates are: [itex]x[/itex] is the direction the water is flowing, [itex]z[/itex] is perpendicular to the river bed, and [itex]y[/itex] is perpendicular to [itex]x[/itex] (so, [itex]y[/itex] is the cross-current). Consider the surface of the river to be [itex]z=0[/itex], and the bottom to be [itex]z = -h.[/itex]

The river is has a grade (slope) of 43cm per km. The water depth is [itex]2m[/itex]. The kinematic viscosity [itex]\mu/\rho = 10^{-6}m^2/s.[/itex] The vertical gravitational acceleration is [itex]g = 9.8 m/s^2.[/itex]

The given assumptions are:
  1. The flow obeys the Navier-Stokes equation for an incompressible flow.
  2. The current is steady.
  3. The density is uniform.
  4. The current is a parallel shear flow [itex]\vec{u}=u(z)\hat{e}^{(z)}[/itex].
  5. No fluid property varies in the direction parallel to the bottom[itex](x).[/itex]
  6. No fluid property varies in the cross-stream [itex](y)[/itex] direction.
  7. The gravity vector is [itex]-g\hat{e}^{'(z)},[/itex], where the prime indicates vertical in gravity aligned coordinates.
  8. At the river bottom, [itex]u=0[/itex].
  9. At the surface, [itex]du/dz = 0.[/itex]

Homework Equations

Navier stokes for incompressible fluid:
[tex]\rho \frac{Du(z)}{Dt} =\rho g \hat{e}^{(x)}- \frac{\partial p}{\partial x} + \mu \nabla^2 u(z) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I've managed to simplify N-S by noting that
[tex]\frac{\partial u(z)}{\partial t} = 0, \ \ \ \frac{\partial u(z)}{\partial x} = 0, \ \ \ \text{ so } \ \ \ \rho \frac{Du(z)}{Dt} =0,[/tex]
[tex]\rho g_x = -\rho g \sin{\theta},[/tex]
(I used [itex]\theta[/itex] as the grade/slope for now, so I wouldn't have to deal with messy numbers)
[tex]\frac{\partial p}{\partial x} = 0,[/tex]
since pressure is a fluid property and does not vary in the parallel stream, and finally
[tex]\mu \nabla^2 u(z) = \mu \frac{\partial^2}{\partial z^2}u(z).[/tex]
So, my pde is:
[tex]\frac{\partial ^2}{\partial z^2} u(z) = \frac{\rho}{\mu}g\sin{\theta},[/tex]
which I have solved as
[tex]u(z) = \frac{1}{2}\frac{\rho}{\mu}z^2 + k_1z + k_2.[/tex]
Then, I found that the constants were: [itex]k_2 = u(0),[/itex] and [itex]k_1 = \frac{1}{2}\frac{\rho}{\mu}g \sin{\theta}h + \frac{1}{h}u(0),[/itex] which makes my final equation
[tex]u(z) = \frac{1}{2}\frac{\rho}{\mu}g\sin{\theta}z^2 + \left[\frac{1}{2}\frac{\rho}{\mu}g\sin{\theta}h + \frac{1}{h}u(0)\right]z + u(0).[/tex]
Here is my problem: I next need to find [itex]u(0).[/itex] But when I sub in [itex]0[/itex] into my equation, I get:
[tex]u(0) = u(0),[/tex]
which is not very illuminating. Did I mess up my solution, or is there another way to find [itex]u(0)[/itex] that I am stupidly missing?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check every last detail, but you need to make use of the fact that the shear stress is equal to zero at z = 0.

Chet

1. What is the Navier-Stokes equation for parallel flow?

The Navier-Stokes equation for parallel flow is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a fluid in a straight line, without any changes in direction or rotation. It takes into account the fluid's density, velocity, and pressure to predict its behavior.

2. What are the assumptions made in the Navier-Stokes equation for parallel flow?

The Navier-Stokes equation for parallel flow assumes that the fluid is incompressible, meaning its density remains constant, and that there is no heat transfer or viscous forces present. It also assumes that the flow is steady and laminar, with no turbulence.

3. How is the Navier-Stokes equation for parallel flow used in practical applications?

The Navier-Stokes equation for parallel flow is used in various fields such as aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, and fluid dynamics to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids in different scenarios. It is also used in the design and optimization of various systems, such as aircraft wings and pipes.

4. Are there any limitations to the Navier-Stokes equation for parallel flow?

Yes, there are limitations to the Navier-Stokes equation for parallel flow. It is only valid for certain types of flow, such as laminar and steady flow. It also does not account for certain factors like surface tension, compressibility, and turbulence, which may be significant in some cases.

5. Are there any current challenges in solving the Navier-Stokes equation for parallel flow?

Yes, there are still some challenges in solving the Navier-Stokes equation for parallel flow. It is a highly complex equation and requires advanced mathematical techniques and computational power to solve. There are also certain boundary conditions and flow conditions that may be difficult to model accurately.