Intuition behind Centroids / Center of Mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the formulation for center of mass/centroid and the purpose of integrating (x*dA). It is explained that the formula for center of mass is derived from the definition of the moment due to total mass on a point. The purpose of integrating (x*dA) is to find the average location of the center of mass or centroid.
paulclou
Hi all,

I've been digging around in Google as well as searching under physics forum for a while now but I still can't find the answer to my question. If there is already an answer then I'm sorry for wasting the server bandwith and database harddrive usage

I learned the formulation for center of mass/centroid a while ago but now it's popping up again and I'm wondering why, do we need to multiply x and y with dA or dV, then divide by dA or dV? I understand it's trying to find the average location of the center of mass or centroid but why, just by multiplying dA with x, then divide by dA will get you the location of the centroid / center of mass? And doesn't multiplying dA with x goes to the third dimension?

Perhaps, a better question to ask is, what is the purpose of intergal(x*dA)?
Thanks,
Paul

Physics news on Phys.org
paulclou said:
Hi all,

I've been digging around in Google as well as searching under physics forum for a while now but I still can't find the answer to my question. If there is already an answer then I'm sorry for wasting the server bandwith and database harddrive usage

I learned the formulation for center of mass/centroid a while ago but now it's popping up again and I'm wondering why, do we need to multiply x and y with dA or dV, then divide by dA or dV? I understand it's trying to find the average location of the center of mass or centroid but why, just by multiplying dA with x, then divide by dA will get you the location of the centroid / center of mass? And doesn't multiplying dA with x goes to the third dimension?

Perhaps, a better question to ask is, what is the purpose of intergal(x*dA)?
Thanks,
Paul

According to the difinition M[itex]\bar{x}[/itex]=∫xdm, but we have dm=[itex]\rho[/itex]dv where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the mass density.

Therefore [itex]\bar{x}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{∫ρxdv}{M}[/itex]

in the above equations, M is the total mass which is equal to ∫ρdv.

Therefore, [itex]\bar{x}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{∫xρdv}{∫ρdv}[/itex].

When ρ is constant, [itex]\bar{x}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{∫xdv}{V}[/itex], where V is the total volume.

If you want to know about the meaning of the definition, it's like finding a point where the moment due to total mass on that point is equal to the sum of the moments due to the distributed mass.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of centroid/center of mass?

The centroid or center of mass is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed in all directions. In other words, it is the average position of all the mass in an object.

2. How is the centroid/center of mass calculated?

The centroid/center of mass can be calculated by finding the average of the x-coordinates and the average of the y-coordinates of all the points in an object. This can be represented mathematically as (x̅, y̅), where x̅ is the average x-coordinate and y̅ is the average y-coordinate.

3. What is the importance of the centroid/center of mass in physics?

The centroid/center of mass is important in physics because it can help determine an object's stability, rotational motion, and translational motion. It is also used in the calculation of moments and moments of inertia.

4. How does the position of the centroid/center of mass affect an object's stability?

The lower the position of the centroid/center of mass, the more stable an object will be. This is because the weight of the object is more evenly distributed and there is less potential for the object to tip over due to an imbalance of forces.

5. Can the centroid/center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the centroid/center of mass can be outside of an object. This is possible when the object has an irregular shape or when there are holes or voids within the object. In these cases, the centroid/center of mass may be located in empty space or outside of the physical boundaries of the object.