Invariance of Energy Momentum Relativistic

In summary, to find the energy E' and momentum p' of a particle with mass m, moving with speed v in the x direction, as measured by observer O', moving at speed u in the same direction, we can use the Lorentz velocity transformation to get:E' = γm(c^2), where γ = 1/√(1-(v'/c)^2) and v' = (v-u)/(1-(uv/c^2))p' = γmv'(c^2)To simplify (E')^2 - (p'c)^2, we can use the relationship between energy and momentum, E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2, to
agnimusayoti
Homework Statement
Suppose an observer O measures a particle of mass m moving in the x direction to have speed v, energy E, and momentum p. Observer O', moving at speed u in the x direction; measures v', E', and p' for the same object. (a) Use the Lorentz velocity transformation to find E' and p' in terms of m, u, and v. (b) Reduce (E')^2 - (p'c)^2 to its simplest form.
Relevant Equations
Lorentz velocity transformation:
$$v'=(v-u)/(1-(uv/c^2))$$

Relationship between energy-momentum:
$$E^2=(pc)^2 +(mc^2)^2$$
I try to use relativistic energy equation:
$$E'=\gamma mc^2$$
But, I use
$$\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{(1-(\frac{v'}{c})^2}}$$
then I use Lorentz velocity transformation.
$$v'=\frac{v-u}{1-\frac{uv}{c^2}}$$
At the end, I end up with messy equation for E' but still have light speed c in the terms. How should I do to get E' just in terms of m, u, and v?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to help without seeing what you've done. Part a) is going to get messy doing it the way the question asks.

This is my work
1613313152805..jpg

What I would do is use the Energy-Momentum transformation to calculate ##E', p'## the sensible way. Then, at least you know what you are aiming for.

Energy momentum Transformation is:
$$E^2 = (PC)^2 + (m c^2)^2$$?
Or what equation do you refer to?

Is my early step is right?

agnimusayoti said:
Energy momentum Transformation is:
$$E^2 = (PC)^2 + (m c^2)^2$$?
Or what equation do you refer to?

Is my early step is right?
The Lorentz Transformation applies to all four-vectors, including the energy-momentum four vector. If you haven't seen that yet, then don't worry.

The problem you have is that it's not easy to see how to simplify what you have unless you know what expression you are aiming for.

Hint: try to find factors of ##\gamma_u## and ##\gamma_v## in what you have.

agnimusayoti said:
At the end, I end up with messy equation for E' but still have light speed c in the terms. How should I do to get E' just in terms of m, u, and v?
The answer is going to have factors of ##c## in it.

One suggestion to avoid algebra errors: Keep a factor of ##c## with each ##u## and ##v##.
$$\frac {v'}{c} = \frac{\frac vc - \frac uc}{1- \left(\frac vc\right)\left(\frac uc\right)}$$

PeroK said:
The Lorentz Transformation applies to all four-vectors, including the energy-momentum four vector. If you haven't seen that yet, then don't worry.

The problem you have is that it's not easy to see how to simplify what you have unless you know what expression you are aiming for.

Hint: try to find factors of ##\gamma_u## and ##\gamma_v## in what you have.
Hmm unfortunately, I do not know what is four vector. So, could it be done with another method?

vela said:
The answer is going to have factors of ##c## in it.

One suggestion to avoid algebra errors: Keep a factor of ##c## with each ##u## and ##v##.
$$\frac {v'}{c} = \frac{\frac vc - \frac uc}{1- \left(\frac vc\right)\left(\frac uc\right)}$$
But the books said without c?

The book didn't explicitly mention ##c## because it's understood it will appear. It's asking you to find ##E'## and ##p'## in terms of the unprimed variables as opposed to, say, ##v'##.

Likes PeroK
Ok I see.
Well, I tried to solve the problem again and got this:
$$E'=\gamma_{v} \gamma_{u}(1-\frac{v}{c} \frac{u}{c}) (mc^2)$$
$$p'=\gamma_{v} \gamma_{u}m(v-u)$$

Then, I got
$${E'}^2 - {p'c}^2={mc^2}^2$$

Is it right?
Thankss for the suggestion @vela and @PeroK!

Likes PeroK
Oh, here I defined:
$$\gamma_{v}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-{\frac{v}{c}}^2}}$$
$$\gamma_{u}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-{\frac{u}{c}}^2}}$$

agnimusayoti said:
hen, I got
$${E'}^2 - {p'c}^2={mc^2}^2$$

Is it right?
You're better writing that as: $$E'^2 - p'c^2=(mc^2)^2$$ or $$E'^2 - p'c^2=m^2c^4$$

Likes agnimusayoti
agnimusayoti said:
Homework Statement:: Suppose an observer O measures a particle of mass m moving in the x direction to have speed v, energy E, and momentum p. Observer O', moving at speed u in the x direction; measures v', E', and p' for the same object. (a) Use the Lorentz velocity transformation to find E' and p' in terms of m, u, and v. (b) Reduce (E')^2 - (p'c)^2 to its simplest form.
Relevant Equations:: Lorentz velocity transformation:

$$E^2=(pc)^2 +(mc^2)^2$$

$$E'=\gamma mc^2$$
But, I use
agnimusayoti said:
Homework Statement:: Suppose an observer O measures a particle of mass m moving in the x direction to have speed v, energy E, and momentum p. Observer O', moving at speed u in the x direction; measures v', E', and p' for the same object. (a) Use the Lorentz velocity transformation to find E' and p' in terms of m, u, and v. (b) Reduce (E')^2 - (p'c)^2 to its simplest form.
Relevant Equations:: Lorentz velocity transformation:

$$E^2=(pc)^2 +(mc^2)^2$$

$$E'=\gamma mc^2$$
But, I use
1614623734899.png

Here is the pdf file.
In the image, where it says "we know that (7) is equal to mc^2" it should say "we know that (7) is equal to (mc)^2".

Attachments

• Invariance of Energy Momentum GNavas.pdf
    109.3 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
What about? $$\frac{1}{\gamma'^2} = 1 - (v'/c)^2 = 1- \frac{v^2 + u^2 -2uv}{c^2(1- \frac{uv}{c^2})^2} = \frac{c^2(1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2} - \frac{u^2}{c^2} + \frac{u^2v^2}{c^4})}{c^2(1- \frac{uv}{c^2})^2} = \frac{(1- \frac{v^2}{c^2})(1 - \frac{u^2}{c^2})}{(1- \frac{uv}{c^2})^2}$$ Hence:
$$\gamma' = \gamma_u \gamma_v (1- \frac{uv}{c^2})$$

Last edited:
PeroK said:
What about? $$\frac{1}{\gamma'^2} = 1 - (v'/c)^2 = 1- \frac{v^2 + u^2 -2uv}{c^2(1- \frac{uv}{c^2})^2} = \frac{c^2(1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2} - \frac{u^2}{c^2} + \frac{u^2v^2}{c^4})}{c^2(1- \frac{uv}{c^2})^2} = \frac{(1- \frac{v^2}{c^2})(1 - \frac{u^2}{c^2})}{(1- \frac{uv}{c^2})^2}$$ Hence:
Here's a trigonometric translation (using [itex] (u/c)=\tanh U [/itex] and [itex] (v/c)=\tanh V [/itex], so [itex] \gamma_u=\cosh U [/itex] and [itex] \gamma_v=\cosh V [/itex]).
of the result.

is
$$
\begin{eqnarray*}
\cosh(U-V)
& =&\cosh U \cosh V (1-\tanh U \tanh V)\\
& =&\cosh U \cosh V -\sinh U \sinh V\\
\end{eqnarray*}
$$

The relative-velocity formula is trigonometrically:
$$
\begin{eqnarray*}
\tanh(U-V)
& =&\frac{\tanh U - \tanh V}{1-\tanh U \tanh V}\\
\end{eqnarray*}
$$

Sometimes a trigonometric ["angle" ; "rapidity"] intuition
can guide and interpret a calculation involving ["slopes" ; "velocities"].

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the concept of invariance of energy momentum relativistic?

The concept of invariance of energy momentum relativistic refers to the principle that the total energy and momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of the reference frame from which it is observed. This concept is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

2. How does the invariance of energy momentum relativistic relate to the speed of light?

The invariance of energy momentum relativistic is closely related to the speed of light, which is considered to be the maximum speed at which energy and information can travel. This means that the total energy and momentum of a closed system must remain constant even at speeds approaching the speed of light.

3. Why is the invariance of energy momentum relativistic important in physics?

The invariance of energy momentum relativistic is a crucial concept in physics because it helps explain the behavior of objects at high speeds and in different reference frames. It also forms the basis for many important equations, such as the famous E=mc^2 equation.

4. Can the invariance of energy momentum relativistic be violated?

No, the invariance of energy momentum relativistic is a fundamental principle of physics and has been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments. Violating this principle would mean that the laws of physics are not consistent and would require a major overhaul of our current understanding of the universe.

5. How does the invariance of energy momentum relativistic affect the concept of mass?

The invariance of energy momentum relativistic has a significant impact on the concept of mass. According to this principle, the mass of an object is not an absolute quantity, but rather depends on the observer's reference frame. This is why the mass of an object increases as it approaches the speed of light, as observed from a stationary reference frame.