Invention in need of professional help.

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a rotary switch or other device for an invention that turns on an LED light at a given weight on a scale. It is suggested to use a variation of a spring balance with a switch that can be adjusted to different positions to vary the weight needed for switching. The mechanics of this could involve a pulley system with a metal piece and a platform for the switch.
kaminar
I have an idea for an invention and I am trying to work out the circuitry. I need some type of rotary switch or another devise that will be user adjustable and assigned to a given weight, then when that weight is achieved on a scale it turns on a basic LED light. I know its a really loaded question but any advise in basic terms would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you wanted to do it with a mechanical device, probably a variation on a spring balance would be used.

The weight stretches a spring and this could then make a contact with a switch.

Varying the position of the switch would vary the weight needed to cause switching.

Cheaper bathroom scales still use this system but newer, more expensive ones use load cells.

That's great vk, I appreciate the response. I have sat for the last couple hours with a spring scale and have a pretty decent understanding of the mechanics. I am still struggling with what you mean by Varying the position of the switch would vary the weight needed to cause switching. What does that look like? What kind of rotary switch could I use? What would the mechanics look like on the inside?

Thanks to everyone for their help.

If you have a pulley which rotates when pulled by a rope, but is spring loaded to return to its original position, you could mount a piece of metal on the rim of the pulley which will operate a switch when the pulley rotates far enough.

So, a sufficient force on the rope will cause the switch to be operated and turn on a light.

You could have the switch on a platform which could be rotated so that different positions of the pulley will operate the switch.

As part of your invention, you would have to adapt this principle to suit the design.

I would first like to commend you for your innovative thinking and for seeking professional help in developing your invention. In order to achieve your desired outcome, I would recommend seeking the expertise of an electrical engineer or a professional in the field of circuitry. They can help you design and implement a rotary switch or other device that can accurately measure weight and trigger the LED light. It is important to have a clear understanding of the specifications and requirements for your invention in order to create an effective and functional circuit. Additionally, it may be helpful to conduct research and explore similar existing products to gain a better understanding of the technology and components needed for your invention. I wish you the best of luck in developing your invention and I am confident that with the help of a professional, you will be able to bring your idea to life.

1. What is considered an "invention in need of professional help"?

An invention in need of professional help refers to any idea, concept, or product that requires the expertise and assistance of a professional in order to be fully realized and brought to market.

2. Why is it important to seek professional help for an invention?

Seeking professional help for an invention is important because it can greatly increase its chances of success. Professionals have the knowledge, skills, and resources to help refine and improve the invention, as well as navigate the complex process of bringing it to market.

3. What type of professionals can assist with an invention?

There are a variety of professionals who can assist with an invention, depending on its specific needs. These may include engineers, designers, patent attorneys, marketing experts, and business consultants.

4. How do I find the right professional for my invention?

To find the right professional for your invention, it is important to do your research and consider factors such as their experience, expertise, and reputation. You can also ask for recommendations from other inventors or seek out professional organizations related to your invention's industry.

5. How much does it typically cost to seek professional help for an invention?

The cost of seeking professional help for an invention can vary greatly depending on the type and extent of assistance needed. It is important to discuss and negotiate fees with professionals beforehand to ensure a clear understanding of costs and services provided.