Need help designing a sequential circuit

In summary, the individual is trying to design a circuit that will cycle through multiple loads in series. They are looking for low cost components and need help designing the circuit. They plan on manually resetting the circuit and will be using 5V DC with each load requiring 3V DC and 1A of current. They also mention the importance of being able to clearly describe ideas, using an "Equipment Specification" as an example.
alecbh
Hi, I apologize in advance for not knowing the right terminology, I've been on wikipedia for the last two hours and my brain is mush.

I'm trying to design a basic circuit that will cycle through multiple circuits in series. I really have no idea how to describe this, except to draw it. I know my schematic is awful, and I don't know how accurate my transistor symbols are, but I hope the gist is evident. I need a current to turn on the load at A, then when A is manually turned off by a switch, bypass it and turn on B, until B is turned off, then C switches on, ad infinitum. The only way I could think of to do this was to use transistors to force current to the load, since it will have a higher resistance than the bypass will. I know I need some sort of counter or memory circuit to do this, unless there's a much easier way that I don't understand.

I'm decently skilled with soldering, so I'll be building this myself, but I need help designing and then picking out low cost components. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20130911_230902.jpg
    20130911_230902.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 446
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not getting it. I see three loads bypassed by transistors, but nothing to describe the concept "B is turned off".

Try drawing it out with relays and switches so you can avoid the biasing issues.

Will this circuit cycle through the loads only once? The way you describe it, all the manual switches must initially be turned on. Once each one is manually turned off, this circuit would not work a second time unless all the switches are manually turned on again. Is that what you want?

Last edited:
meBigGuy said:
I'm not getting it. I see three loads bypassed by transistors, but nothing to describe the concept "B is turned off".

Try drawing it out with relays and switches so you can avoid the biasing issues.
I know just enough about electronics to get myself into trouble, but not enough to do much useful, and trying to learn through wikipedia feels like trying to jump into calc3 after just finishing basic algebra. I'll try to explain my concept a little better:

I have loads A, B, C, etc. When the circuit receives power I want A to turn on, but not B or C. When A is manually switched off, I want the circuit to automatically power B and only B until it is switched off. Once B is switched off, C should receive power until it is manually switched off. I want to be able to expand this with up to 20 loads/outputs. When the previous load is manually turned off, the next should automatically activate. I don't know the best and most compact way to do this.

skeptic2 said:
Will this circuit cycle through the loads only once? The way you describe it, all the manual switches must initially be turned on. Once each one is manually turned off, this circuit would not work a second time unless all the switches are manually turned on again. Is that what you want?

Yes, I plan on having to manually reset it, that's fine with me.I did some more reading, and it looks like this would be most easily done with MOSFETs, but I still don't know what component(s) to use to make a sequential switch.

Now we need to get into some details.
How does power get applied to the first load?
How much voltage does each load need?
How much current?
AC or DC?

Last edited:
I think I finally found what I need, sans a few modifications:

http://www.brighthubengineering.com...w-to-build-a-simple-led-light-chaser-circuit/

The third circuit diagram down looks like what I need, except instead of cycling with a button, I need it to cycle on the trailing edge(?)/when there is no longer current going to load X.

skeptic2 said:
Now we need to get into some details. How much voltage does each load need? How much current? AC or DC?

I'll be feeding this with 5V DC, and each load needs 3V DC and 1A.

Thanks for your help so far.

alecbh said:
Hi, I apologize in advance for not knowing the right terminology, I've been on wikipedia for the last two hours and my brain is mush.

I'm trying to design a basic circuit that will cycle through multiple circuits in series. I really have no idea how to describe this, except to draw it. I know my schematic is awful, and I don't know how accurate my transistor symbols are, but I hope the gist is evident. I need a current to turn on the load at A, then when A is manually turned off by a switch, bypass it and turn on B, until B is turned off, then C switches on, ad infinitum. The only way I could think of to do this was to use transistors to force current to the load, since it will have a higher resistance than the bypass will. I know I need some sort of counter or memory circuit to do this, unless there's a much easier way that I don't understand.

I'm decently skilled with soldering, so I'll be building this myself, but I need help designing and then picking out low cost components. Thanks in advance!

As you continue on your path towards more complex and sophisticated designs, your ability to describe in English exactly will be a great advantage for you.

When the U. S. Navy, for example, wants a new sonar system it writes an “Equipment Specification” (ES) which describes every function the equipment will perform. This document is then given to potential manufacturers/vendors. They, in turn, estimate the cost to provide the equipment and make a bid. Of course, if the win the contract, they are bound to produce the product that performs exactly in accordance with the ES.

Consider yourself in the future, working in the above kinds of areas. You will need this “tool” in your tool kit. Download it, save it, and learn to use it so that you can clearly describe your ideas for others.

Title:
STANDARD GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS FOR ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT

Abstract:
This standard is the technical baseline for the design and construction of electronic equipment for the Department of Defense. It captures in one document, under suitable subject headings, fundamental design requirement for eleven general electronic specifications.
263 pages, free
http://quanterion.com/Documents/Documents.asp?ArgVal=6414

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a sequential circuit?

A sequential circuit is an electronic circuit that uses a clock signal to synchronize its internal components and store information in a sequential manner. It is designed to remember previous inputs and use them to determine future outputs.

2. What are the basic components of a sequential circuit?

The basic components of a sequential circuit include flip-flops, registers, and logic gates. Flip-flops are used to store information, registers are used to hold multiple bits of data, and logic gates are used to perform logical operations on the stored data.

3. How do I approach designing a sequential circuit?

The first step in designing a sequential circuit is to clearly define the problem and determine the required inputs and outputs. Then, you can create a state diagram or a truth table to map out the logic of the circuit. From there, you can use logic gates and flip-flops to implement the desired functionality.

4. What are the common challenges in designing a sequential circuit?

One of the common challenges in designing a sequential circuit is ensuring that the circuit operates correctly with the clock signal. Another challenge is minimizing the propagation delay, which is the time it takes for the output to respond to a change in the input.

5. How do I test and troubleshoot a sequential circuit?

To test a sequential circuit, you can use simulation software to simulate different inputs and verify the expected outputs. Troubleshooting a sequential circuit involves identifying potential issues with the circuit design or wiring and making any necessary changes to fix them.