Invention of Alternating Current

In summary, my friend is skeptical of the claim that it was not Tesla who invented AC, but I disagree. I think it was him, but I need more evidence to convince him.
Nugso
Gold Member
Hello physicsforums. I'd like to apologize for submitting such a fool thread. Anyway, I'm in disagreemeent with my friend who thinks it was Nikola Tesla who invented AC, but I insist that it was not him. I tried to google it, but I have yet to find a proper answer. He's like, " My physics teacher said it was Tesla, I even asked an engineer about it and he said it was Tesla too". So, how can I convince him that it was not Tesla? ( Assuming it was not really Tesla)

Engineering news on Phys.org
tiny-tim said:

Hi tiny-tim. :D Yes, I even tried to show it to him. Unfortunately he doesn't speak English and hence doesn't understand the article. The turkish version of the article says it was invented by Tesla. Huh. :confused:

Your Turkish physics teacher doesn't read English?

Then give up! :rolleyes:

Likes 1 person
Well, I think I can safely say that 90+% of the high school(not the ones in university) physics teachers in Turkey can speak English. ( I'm not trying to offend them, I'm merely telling the truth. I, myself, don't speak very good English either)

I still do need to prove him, though. :P

Tesla is very much responsible for what we have today for our AC power system. I think to say that he invented AC is probably wrong. Seriously, how can you say who the first person was to make current flow back and forth in a wire at a repetitive rate?

Likes 1 person
Translate the engilsh web page into turkish with google, or whatever.

According to the english wiki, the first AC system was demonstrated in 1832. The first practical application was in 1855. Tesla was born in 1856.

But that probably isn't enough proof for Tesla conspiracy theorists. Tesla must have told those other guys about the idea in a previous reincarnation. :biggrin:

Likes 1 person
Tesla is famous because he invented the polyphase AC motor which made AC systems useful for industryl.

One advantage of AC is that it is very easy to transform the voltage - using transformers to step it up or down as needed. This allows for improved transmission efficiency by reducing the current and thus the Joule heating is reduced.

It was always easy to generate AC currents, just hard to make good use of them for industry, even though the advantages were understood.

Likes 1 person
@Averagesupernova; Can't we? Someone who first noticed the thing that occurs/exists whenever a magner next to a soil is moved from north to south can probably be considered the "inventor" of AC. Not sure though.

@AlephZero; I guess, then, I'll have to edit the Turkish wiki page and write what should have been written before. He'll probably believe me then! I used to be a Tesla conspiracy theorist, so I kind of understand him, but yes, the only proof that would have been enough for him is the very quote of Tesla saying " I didn't invent AC".

@UltrafastPED; So Tesla sort of made it easier for industries to use AC, right? Thanks to all of you, by the way!

Nugso said:
@UltrafastPED; So Tesla sort of made it easier for industries to use AC, right?

It was long thought that an AC motor was impossible; its importance is on a par with the steam engine.

Here is some history: http://edisontechcenter.org/electricmotors.html

Likes 1 person
UltrafastPED said:
It was long thought that an AC motor was impossible; its importance is on a par with the steam engine.

Here is some history: http://edisontechcenter.org/electricmotors.html

Thanks for the link. Currently looking into it. By the way, I posted that link to my friend but he didn't believe anything in it since its url is 'edison'techcenter. ( not even kidding, 100% true)

What is the invention of Alternating Current?

Alternating Current (AC) is a type of electrical current where the direction of flow of electric charge periodically reverses. It was first invented by Nikola Tesla in the late 19th century.

Why was Alternating Current invented?

Alternating Current was invented as an alternative to Direct Current (DC) because it could be transmitted over long distances with less energy loss. This made it more practical for widespread use in powering homes and businesses.

How does Alternating Current work?

Alternating Current works by using an electric generator to produce a changing magnetic field. This in turn creates an alternating current that can be transmitted through power lines and converted into usable energy.

What are the advantages of Alternating Current?

Alternating Current has several advantages over Direct Current. It can be transmitted over longer distances with less energy loss, it can be easily converted to different voltages, and it is more efficient for powering large industrial and commercial equipment.

What impact did the invention of Alternating Current have on society?

The invention of Alternating Current had a major impact on society, as it allowed for the widespread use of electricity in homes and businesses. This led to advancements in technology, improved living conditions, and the development of new industries. It also played a crucial role in the modernization of our society and our way of life.