Inverse Laplace Transform: Solve Homework Equation

In summary: It's a bit messy but once you understand it, it's really easy to do these.In summary, this person is lost on how to solve a complicated problem and doesn't know how to use the exponential shifting theorem.
polarmystery

Homework Statement

Find the inverse laplace transform of the equation listed:

[tex](\frac{1-e^{-sa}}{a})*(\frac{1}{s^2}-\frac{RC}{s}+\frac{sRC+R^2\frac{C}{L}-1}{s^2+s\frac{R}{L}+\frac{1}{LC}})[/tex]

Homework Equations

a, R, C, and L are constants.

The Attempt at a Solution

Completely lost, not sure how to even begin to reduce this massive function.

Physics news on Phys.org
polarmystery;3548372Completely lost said:
You can start by starting small then building back up. First consider:

[tex](1-e^{-s})(\frac{1}{s^2}-\frac{1}{s}+\frac{s+k}{s^2+s+c})[/tex]

You can do that one right? Just break it up into individual pieces and compute the inverse transform of each piece. Get that working, then start adding all those constants. Won't change it much right since they're just constants.

If I complete the square term on the bottom (s^2 + s + c) => (s + x)^2 + c, where does the additional x^2 term go that I added? Does it get added to the numerator also? It's been a while since I've done this stuff before.

So you want to transform:

[tex]\frac{s+k}{s^2+s+c}[/tex]

I'd have to review that also but as far as completing the square, you'd write:

[tex]s^2+s+c=s^2+s+1/4-1/4+c=(s+1/2)^2+c-1/4[/tex]

or to make it a little easier, just let f=c-1/4 so that we need to invert now:

[tex]\frac{s+k}{(s+1/2)^2+f}[/tex]

Yeah, well I don't know how to do that one either. I'd have to review. I did it in Mathematica and it looks pretty messy but the more you work on these, the easier they get.

Well, after completing the square and then subtracting out what I added to complete the square, I get this (It's a bit messy):

[tex]\frac{RC(s+\frac{R}{L}-1)}{(s+\frac{R}{2L})^2-\frac{R^2C^2-4LC}{4L^2C^2}}[/tex]

Ok, that's a good start although you're quick to jump right back to the complicated problem. So Let me work a simple one that's related using the exponential shifting theorem:

Suppose I have:

[tex]\frac{s+k}{(s+1/2)^2+f}[/tex]

I now write that as:

[tex]\frac{(s+1/2)+(k-1/2)}{(s+1/2)^2+f}[/tex]

Now we can use the shifting theorem:

[tex]L^{-1}\{f(s-a)\}=e^{at}F(t)[/tex]

where F(t) is the inverse transform of f(s).

You can figure that out.

Related to Inverse Laplace Transform: Solve Homework Equation

1. What is an inverse Laplace transform?

An inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the Laplace domain and converts it back to the time domain. It is the inverse of the Laplace transform and is used to solve differential equations and analyze systems in engineering and physics.

2. How do I solve a homework equation using inverse Laplace transform?

To solve a homework equation using inverse Laplace transform, you first need to take the Laplace transform of the given equation. Then, using a table of Laplace transforms or integration techniques, you can convert the equation back to the time domain. Finally, you can solve for the unknown variable using algebraic methods.

3. What are the benefits of using inverse Laplace transform?

Inverse Laplace transform is a powerful mathematical tool that allows us to solve complex differential equations and analyze systems in the time domain. It helps us understand the behavior of systems over time and make predictions about their future behavior.

4. Are there any limitations to using inverse Laplace transform?

Yes, there are some limitations to using inverse Laplace transform. It may not always be possible to take the Laplace transform of a given function, and the inverse Laplace transform may not always converge or exist for certain functions. In these cases, other methods may need to be used to solve the equation.

5. How can I improve my understanding of inverse Laplace transform?

To improve your understanding of inverse Laplace transform, you can practice solving a variety of equations using this method. You can also read textbooks and online resources that explain the concept in detail and provide examples. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or attending a lecture on the topic can also improve your understanding.